What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
checked on my hives and it's like a summers day with warm air and every hive was bringing in white pollen, I don't know where from or from what but the hive entrances where bouncing. No hive roofs off as expected.

checked on my hives and it's like a summers day with warm air and every hive was bringing in white pollen, I don't know where from or from what but the hive entrances where bouncing. No hive roofs off as expected.

Cleaned some boxes yesterday, took the dogs out in the wind and rain this morning. At some point I want to cut a Buddleia back but that can wait.

:iagree:, same here in SE Worcestershire.

What's the dominant influence on the queen's rate of laying- day length, temperature, available nectar + pollen, queen genetics?
I can't see the majority of my colonies being broodless in 3 or so weeks time.

Last edited:
:iagree:, same here in SE Worcestershire.

What's the dominant influence on the queen's rate of laying- day length, temperature, available nectar + pollen, queen genetics?
I can't see the majority of my colonies being broodless in 3 or so weeks time.

Nor me, I even noticed some orientation going on, might have to feed this year with some fondant after Christmas.

Also known as butter bur. Or in this neck of the woods, elephant's ears. But winter heliotrope sounds much more elegant

Last edited:
Crazy activitythis morning like a Spring day.
Looks like they are predominately still working the ivy here although we have a large bank of winter heather in flower which is also buzzing.
Not sure what is going on with the brood nests but all I intend doing is watching the entrances and hefting over the next month or so.
Finished my fourth sublimation yesterday. Annoyingly six of the hives showed a heavy drop again today, with the other 16 clear.
Do i run a fifth sublimation on the bad six?
I would be interested in peoples opinions!
Satisfyingly this course seems to be knocing wax moth off aswell with dead larvae and the occasional moth found on the inspection boards.

This morning it is mild and all hives have significant activity. Clouds of bees orienting and some foragers coming and going.

Colonies very busy with large pollen loads going in. Another 180 mites off the colony treated with OA.

About a week and a half ago I gave my bees raw sugar to see what they did with it. I presumed that they would eat it and possibly store it. To encourage them to take up the sugar, I added 200 ml of honey to every 1.5 kg of sugar. It looked very encouraging when I opened up two of the hives today -- it looked like they were busy eating the sugar:

iomc6v.jpg

2aeuzkh.jpg

In the first hive, the sygar is underneath the plastic, and in the second hive, the sugar is on top of the plastic. The second hive had just as much sugar as the first hive (about 1.5 kg of it).

However, then I checked the bottom board, and found it full of sugar, and it struck me that the sugar in the bottom board is pure white, and that only white sugar is left on the plastic of the second hive:

2wmfgpf.jpg

The buggers aren't eating the sugar. They're just sucking out the honey and dumping the sugar crystals.

Yesterday in a brief visit to one apiary, saw from one hive bees are leaving and not returning.. Seems one more robbing.. Now await little warmer weather and possible leave earlier ( that is just useless wish..) from job to sort it.. There were all regular, young queen, OK with stores, nice cluster, but obviously something gone to h..l..
I am so happy, never had robbing at my apiaries, now two " in a row".. :rolleyes:

Should I panic now or should I panic later :calmdown:

At my place already beeks are in Panic mode.. But that is ordinary behaviour here. If they are quiet I would be worried :leaving:

(Yesterday) watched dark orange and greyish pollen going in. Lots of orientation and cleansing flights. Oh, and noticed that the primroses are out :eek:
And I watched a buff tailed bumble bee queen, which appeared to be prospecting for a nest site :hairpull:

Last edited:
(Yesterday) watched dark orange and greyish pollen going in. Lots of orientation and cleansing flights. Oh, and noticed that the primroses are out :eek:
And I watched a buff tailed bumble bee queen, which appeared to be prospecting for a nest site :hairpull:

Here also, it is now "normal" as climate gone to h..l

Attachments

• Lamium 1.JPG
    Lamium 1.JPG
    694.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Lamium 2.jpg
    Lamium 2.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Veronica.JPG
    Veronica.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 20
Weighed all my Langs. Weights were equal to or greater than when weighed in September.

External temperature 13C.
Temperature on top of crown boards-16C..
Temperature of top of insulation above crownboards (and under insulation cosy) 10C. (it was cold overnight)
External temperature of cosy in shadow 13C.
External temperature on side facing sun 14C.

Conclusion : cosies work.

Took saw and loppers down to the apiary.
Lifted some Silver Birch crowns and trimmed a Lime to give the hives more sunshine next year.
All hives flying and minute amounts of pollen going in.
There are bees on the hellebores in my garden collecting it.

Shone a torch up through the mesh floor of each hive to check if they were all ok.
All alive, some better than others.
Nollaig shona daoibh!

IT is only couple of months from Winter feeding. Are the stores out now!

Ofcourse not.

I feed my hives full in September. The food lasts 9 months. First time I will check hive weights in April. I know that there are enough stores up that.

To feed sugar or something else in December, it really is not beekeeping.

Shone a torch up through the mesh floor of each hive to check if they were all ok.
All alive, some better than others.
Nollaig shona daoibh!

Madness! Do you have better idea to kill them than to disturb them all the time?

All hives flying strongly today 15C. Orientation and plenty of big pollen loads going in (three kinds at least). Hefted, all enough food for the time being, but they are probably all brooding because of the warm nites and pollen availability, so have to be xtra vigilant come spring.

Back