What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thorough inspection of my colonies this morning in response to the afb outbreak. Thankfully nothing untoward so far.
Moved two colonies that were created by earlier season splits to their new home. The colony on the same site that i rescued from the brink have now filled a 14*12 plus drawn and filled a shallow have decided to swarm. Down to my final deep box......

Inspected my meangreenqueen colony as noticed from my little book of beek notes that I haven't inspected them since 23 may. That's more than 7/8 days. Been putting it off as dreading it. Had decided they were welcome to swarm if they want. Then thought better of it and did the deed. 15 frames of brood. (Plus two I took out 3 days ago for nuc) No honey for moi. No disease I can see. Mean bees. Glad it's done.

On a happier note released tab from my newbluebuckfast queen who i has been temporarily housed in a a nuc until she ges the keys to mean greens house! Meangreenqueen is not getting her deposit back as she was a bad tenant :icon_204-2:

Put a swarm into a nuc yesterday with 2 frames of foundation, i went in today to put another 4 frames in & whoa! The heat when i opened it from the bees was unreal. It was another big swarm, they are bringing in pollen so i am guessing they are drawing those 2 combs already. I was going to look but the bees were just totally covering the frames i left them to it.

Inspected my meangreenqueen colony as noticed from my little book of beek notes that I haven't inspected them since 23 may. That's more than 7/8 days. Been putting it off as dreading it. Had decided they were welcome to swarm if they want. Then thought better of it and did the deed. 15 frames of brood. (Plus two I took out 3 days ago for nuc) No honey for moi. No disease I can see. Mean bees. Glad it's done.

On a happier note released tab from my newbluebuckfast queen who i has been temporarily housed in a a nuc until she ges the keys to mean greens house! Meangreenqueen is not getting her deposit back as she was a bad tenant :icon_204-2:

I bet she left nail holes too from hanging the pictures and didn't empty the garbage either!

Thorough inspection of my colonies this morning in response to the afb outbreak. Thankfully nothing untoward so far.
Moved two colonies that were created by earlier season splits to their new home. The colony on the same site that i rescued from the brink have now filled a 14*12 plus drawn and filled a shallow have decided to swarm. Down to my final deep box......

Hi...are you allowed to move bees to different apiaries during an outbreak....or is it like Foot and Mouth....no movement at all?

I bet she left nail holes too from hanging the pictures and didn't empty the garbage either!

If she's anything like my real tenants she will have sneaked in a bloody cat too. Despite the tenancy agreement forbidding it. And left the place full of fleas!

If she's anything like my real tenants she will have sneaked in a bloody cat too. Despite the tenancy agreement forbidding it. And left the place full of fleas!

Or varroa!
I put some insulation in my Lovely Queen hive...took out some frames....they have been working them...now they can concentrate their efforts. It would be good to see a whole frame of bias next time I look in this hive.
Why is it still so cold...we are back to a north wind again...just as the sun comes out! 😤

Hi...are you allowed to move bees to different apiaries during an outbreak....or is it like Foot and Mouth....no movement at all?

No movement from the infected apiary is my understanding. Still not been confirmed where the outbreak actually is as far as I'm aware.

collected a swarm 18ft up in hawthorn hedge - extending pole with bucket on top did the trick - just making up (yet another) brood box + frames, then putting in an order for more gear

Nothing for once, twiddling my fingers with withdrawal symptoms, back to it tomorrow before work

collected a swarm 18ft up in hawthorn hedge - extending pole with bucket on top did the trick - just making up (yet another) brood box + frames, then putting in an order for more gear

Got a drawing or design for this please? Had to leave a swarm yesterday as the tree was as rotten as a pear and it was just out of reach from the ground. A device like this would have been a godsend.

Got a drawing or design for this please? Had to leave a swarm yesterday as the tree was as rotten as a pear and it was just out of reach from the ground. A device like this would have been a godsend.

Pillowcase, metal coat hanger, kite string, and a secondhand fishing pole.

I built stand number 2 and put a couple of pints of feed onto the new hive to give them a boost .

I used a Drennan Super Twistlock handle (3m in length) with a bucket tie wrapped on (drilled holes in side of bucket, threaded through around pole and tighten).

Great reach and strength, but the handle costs around £50 - maybe cheaper options out there but for strength, its perfect for swarm catching when ladders just wont do.

Can post a pic if required.

I used a Drennan Super Twistlock handle (3m in length) with a bucket tie wrapped on (drilled holes in side of bucket, threaded through around pole and tighten).

Great reach and strength, but the handle costs around £50 - maybe cheaper options out there but for strength, its perfect for swarm catching when ladders just wont do.

Can post a pic if required.

Pic would be great thanks

Had a look at a novice beeks colony that swarmed yesterday.
The swarm was less than 2 frames of bees :(
Had to tell her that her queen was long gone.
There were six open emerged QCs and we let 12 virgins out......Oh dear!

Grrrr.....Lost my first swarm this season :(

Was one of my modified Snelgrove II ASs. I inspected a fortnight ago, new laying queen, all fine. Thought I'd be safe for a fortnight to leave alone and let her get on and do her thing undisturbed. Room enough in the BB and room in the supers. Opened up to 4 sealed queen cells and notably fewer bees.

Bother!

Latest posts

Back