What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok . Thanks . I will put the shovel down now before i get any deeper . I will try to record what goes on . Cheers .

You'll be fine ... keep telling us what you are doing ...we all learn from this forum and the more posts the more chances we have ... Don't take anything personally or to heart - there are some on here with interesting bedside manners but a lot of good advice.

Used yesterdays cool / windy weather to strim round all the hives in my apiaries. Didn't stop plenty of bees coming out to see what was happening but they mostly stayed at the entrance and went back in soon after I had finished!

Added supers of honey as bees going hungry! Methinks it should be the other way round! Blossom is getting blown off trees!
Roll on summer!

False Acacia. Thank you; did not realise it was good forage. There is at least one very near my bees.

It is excellent nectar source. This year in peak of forage scale rise around 8-9kg per day per colony.

But weather dictate the forage.. This year we had mostly decent weather. Again shown for me - queen is all. If I have decent queen.. sky is a limit..

Answered door to angry passerby whose wife got stung in street yesterday, spotted me in bee suit, put two and two together and knocked on my door today to say he has reported me to police for having angry bees.

blowin a hoolie here & p***ing down non stop. day off for the bees today :-(

Had a look at a new apiary site with farmer looks good. Space for 20 hives and storage space. I already have 6 hives in another field, but this area is more secure.

Answered door to angry passerby whose wife got stung in street yesterday, spotted me in bee suit, put two and two together and knocked on my door today to say he has reported me to police for having angry bees.

Tell him you'll gladly put on an identification parade for him to finger the culprit

Tell him you need to know what number was on the ring around the bees leg to know if it's one of yours. No ring then it's probably a wild bee. :)

Tell him you'll gladly put on an identification parade for him to finger the culprit

When he complained yesterday just after the 'incident' he said she had two stings. Today he came round to say she was at doctors due to her 5 stings. By tomorrow I expect she will have be at a & e, stung from head to toe. He wants me to erect a sign warning the world that I have bees in my enclosed garden, behind a hedge 8 ft high. next time I won't run down the street in my bee suit advertising their presence.

Say bees usually only sting away from a hive if hit by a human, and when they do they die, so you'll be reporting her for cruelty to animals :icon_204-2:

Just got back from collecting a swarm......... in this weather.... :hairpull::sifone:

They are no safely sited in Mrs H's garden on a temporary basis of course :winner1st:

Just got back from the apiary, read the High Winds on the forum, and I thought I better go outside, and see what the weather was doing, BLOODY HELL, WHERE DID THE HURRICANE come from!

and then quickly rushed to the apiary, with torches, wellingtons boots, fleece and fleece hat, in the dark across fields, with hive straps and secured them all, as they are rather tall with supers on, and some on double brood and supers, quite a stack. All was okay when I got there, lots of rain coming down, outside of hives are soaked.

I've got hive straps, and only usually use them in the winter - lesson learned - they can stay on all the time, and come off at inspections! Bonkers really, I have hive straps on empty bait hives!

took me about 30 minutes, in the dark....

Thanks Guys for the warning!!!

Did second OSR harvest today, 50x12oz jars to go with the 54 from a fortnight ago. Went around to out apiary to check poly nuc living there hadn't disapeared up to Oz

Latest posts

Back