What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what did you do today

I sat and quietly watched few bees coming in and out. Very peaceful.

had a check on 10 colonies today, all with eggs. Two are a little small, all not as forward as this time last year.

Spent the whole day at Manchester Cathedral, rehearsing for the Easter Day Eucharist, which is being broadcast live on the Beeb tomorrow.

Three long rehearsals - but over lunch I managed to get in an inspection of the hives on the roof - all surprisingly good.

Then, Lo and Behold (if you will excuse the religious phraseology) who should turn up but Bill Turnbull, who is presenting the programme. Spent a while nattering about bees and suggested how he might handle a problematic hive.

Made a good interlude in a long day.

See if you can guess which is yours truly in the prog.
Hint: I'm not that important - only mildly so.

Dusty

The New Bee Yard

The Bee Yard is coming along. The flagstones for the long hive are now in place. Shrubs and bee friendly plants are mounting up ready to be planted after Easter.
We moved one hive into the Bee Yard last weekend ...and all is well. They have been re orientating well. We left a hive in the old position...a few bees went back there...about a handful. We transferred them back to the new place. After that very few bees went back. I think the cold weather helped with the transfer as it kept the bees in the hive for much longer than we had intended. Lots of pollen going in today from the hellebores, willow and other unknown plants. There is a field of OSR at the bottom of our lane.....a few flowers beginning to shown amongst the green.
Still not sure how we will move the other hives though. I think it may be a trailer trip to a friends garden 5 miles away for a few weeks. It will have to wait until after the first inspections.

Sat and watched bees come in/out of all 3 hives. They're bringing yellow and orange gear in all 3 thou one was quite alot busier than the other 2. This was the one with the most brown cappings under it last week. Was warm enough to go in but decided not to and just left them to it. Warmish for another few days and hopefully it continues into the weekend and if it does, will defo have a look.

Checked dozen hives for space, minor expanding. Next will be right one. Brood from 3 ( queen failing) to 8 frames). It was quiet about colonies selling, now how main forage is approaching - 3 new buyers at same time.. One said his colonies are 2-3 frames of brood and queens are from selection ( what people are selling these days..).. When I said up to 8 frames of brood, I felt he disbelieved for a moment..
Checked promising colony from my second line, I feel joy cause " daughter" last and this season is awesome. This year hopefully in queen rearing. Now I have 2 main lines at my apiaries.

Spent the whole day at Manchester Cathedral, rehearsing for the Easter Day Eucharist, which is being broadcast live on the Beeb tomorrow.

Three long rehearsals - but over lunch I managed to get in an inspection of the hives on the roof - all surprisingly good.

Then, Lo and Behold (if you will excuse the religious phraseology) who should turn up but Bill Turnbull, who is presenting the programme. Spent a while nattering about bees and suggested how he might handle a problematic hive.

Made a good interlude in a long day.

See if you can guess which is yours truly in the prog.
Hint: I'm not that important - only mildly so.

Dusty

I saw you, trying to hide behind that pillar - but the cameraman finally caught you and couldn't keep his eyes off you after that ... the choir were in good form as well.

Made a start on sorting the hives and stuff to go to Kent on Saturday.

Left at 7am, 150 miles and 4 hours later the bees were set up in the orchard and all other equipment loaded into the outbuildings. All went without a hitch, when I left the bees were just starting to venture out as the drizzle had at last stopped.

It's all those Youtube videos diluting and corrupting British Beekeeperese ... APIARY - the word is APIARY ....

Ha ha...I lived near Atlanta, Georgia USA for some years....we visited the Bee Yards of friends.
I now live next door to my daughter and her family...with 4 young grandchildren...Apiary is a little beyond them. They wanted a sign on the gate...so Bee Yard it is.....complete with a picture of a bee! Hey ho...how we pander to the younger generations!
My young Grandaughter is beginning to show an interest and we have just bought a very tiny size of bee suit for her.....
We will introduce 'Apiary' into the vocabulary as they get a little older.
Fun is the name of the game....

I saw you, trying to hide behind that pillar - but the cameraman finally caught you and couldn't keep his eyes off you after that ... the choir were in good form as well.

Gosh! Was I on? Not had chance to see the replay - but I was near a pillar.

I was only sorry the camera positions didn't get my best side.
I'd had a facial and got my roots done.
[See how I feed you all the best lines?]

Dusty

Washed the car. Nice and shiny. Sun came out and so did the bees. They have waxed it nicely for me...

My young Grandaughter is beginning to show an interest and we have just bought a very tiny size of bee suit for her.....
We will introduce 'Apiary' into the vocabulary as they get a little older.
Fun is the name of the game....

OK ... We'll settle for Beeyard this time .. if you are bringing one and possibly four new Apiarists into apiculture it deserves a bit of leeway. You will be missing the cherry blossom in Atlanta at present ? .. Pretty spectacular for a week or two.

Gosh! Was I on? Not had chance to see the replay - but I was near a pillar.
Dusty

Hard for a man of your stature....................................to hide behind a pillar.
It's only a small Cathedral after all :D

OK ... We'll settle for Beeyard this time .. if you are bringing one and possibly four new Apiarists into apiculture it deserves a bit of leeway. You will be missing the cherry blossom in Atlanta at present ? .. Pretty spectacular for a week or two.

God! Yes...the cherry blossom ....before that the Dog Wood..truly beautiful. We lived in an area known as Jonquil County. A carpet of tiny yellow flowers everywhere. We had a family of raccoons living in the bank opposite my kitchen window....what joy to watch them.
Now I have grandchildren playing swingball outside my kitchen window...their squeals and laughter enjoyed by us all.
Views across the Bristol Channel and bees in the garden. Old age has its comforts.....

Planted 4 new apple trees today, potted on some some giant sunflowers.

Back