What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished the Bailey Comb changes on two colonies. Each now has 9 lovely full new frames of brood .......and one also has queen cells so needed an artificial swarm doing. Oh well, at least I will have a good supply of drawn comb this year :)
I think being near the OSR really pushed the comb changes along.

Three other hives now have eggs in queen cups so as the Welsh queen cell leaflet says "Amber alert"!

Three other hives now have eggs in queen cups so as the Welsh queen cell leaflet says "Amber alert"!

Apparently I've mentioned Amber alert about three times whilst gibbering about bees since I got home this evening - my wife seems to find it amusing :)

Finished the Bailey Comb changes on two colonies.

You're two weeks ahead of me. Had a look through mine yesterday and they have both drawn eleven 14 x 12 frames of bright yellow dandelion comb.

Other wooden hive has eight frames wall to wall brood and a super with nectar in all frames. I was going to add another before going away for a few days but the forecast is bad....7/8˚ daytime for a day or two so I didn't. Fingers crossed there's no heatwave.

hope we get a nice afternoon in the next week so my virgin queens can get out and about.

You're two weeks ahead of me. Had a look through mine yesterday and they have both drawn eleven 14 x 12 frames of bright yellow dandelion comb.

Other wooden hive has eight frames wall to wall brood and a super with nectar in all frames. I was going to add another before going away for a few days but the forecast is bad....7/8˚ daytime for a day or two so I didn't. Fingers crossed there's no heatwave.

marked change in weather over next week, going to feel much cooler than this week and more unsettled.

Thanks Roola - not very good news for the ETE for my QC on 29 though! How about the following week?

Checked hive today bias on 11 frames with plenty of stores, I'm thinking of doing a split but no matter how much I search cant find the queen.

I'm thinking of doing a split but no matter how much I search cant find the queen.

Don't you just hate that! One of my hives has a queen that I've spotted once! Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to catch and mark her before she vanished again. Everybody that's ever been looking at my bees has offered to find her for me, and everyone has failed. It's like she's invisible, but she's there and laying :) So I've given up and just let her get on with it!

One of my hives has a queen that I've spotted once! Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to catch and mark her before she vanished again.!

If you always have a nuc box with you, pop the frame she is on into it, then you know where she is and will be able to mark her at a much more leisurely pace. No need to be quick then.
Cazza

What did you do in the Apiary today? well yesterday, looked at it and smiled

Replaced my Queen - half of everything she was laying was ending up as chalkbrood mummies :(

Got to fight the temptation and leave the hive alone now for 9 days :(

Last edited:
Replaced my Queen - half of everything she was laying was ending up as chalkbrood mummies :(

Got to fight the temptation and leave the hive alone now for 9 days :(

It should be smile and smile, no more chalk brood and no queen cells (hopefully) this year. Just curiosity is your hive stand on a concrete slab or directly on the ground ?

Bees going flat out on a white pollen , even though it was cooler with heavy showers , they could not get enough of it .

Thought about how to teach bees to swim. 37mm in 12 hrs!

Last edited:
What did you do in the Apiary today? well yesterday, looked at it and smiled

Watched the rain... a few brave bees out..

Wot's this "heatwave" drunks are muttering about?

Back