What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you reckon it's the common one or the barred version?
Have not got a clue. My herpetology skills run to telling the difference between a grass snake, adder and slow worm but not much more. Not heavily barred on it's back if that's the difference.

How wonderful. I used to see them so often as a child. In fact I brought one home to keep as a pet when I was about 7. My mother made me let it go where I found it. The last time I saw one was on a camping trip to Talybont in Usk...in the canal

Yes they are good swimmers and I often see them crossing the canal when I skipper trip boats.

Got some beautiful looking capped honey today, with a sublime taste, and got an extra treat of hearing a superb lyrebird in the forest. In the few minutes we listened to it, it rattled off incredible mimicry of about half a dozen other bird calls from the forest. You won't see it in the little video. They are so hard to spot.

Attachments

• IMG_5042.MOV
    15.3 MB
interested to see the cause. I have this at my out apiary but i’m assuming it may be a shrew, eating the dead bees which have been removed from the hive. I have birds scavenge the dead at my home apiary but there are no signs of remains, the birds fly off with the whole body. So I think you might find it is a four legged creature and possibly just making use of what’s left outside.
I hope so. I set the camera up at the weekend but nothing so far. I’m going to move it close to the piles of dead bee bits to see if it’s a mouse. No problem if they’re helping themselves to outside debris, was just concerned there was something more sinister going on!

Got some beautiful looking capped honey today, with a sublime taste, and got an extra treat of hearing a superb lyrebird in the forest. In the few minutes we listened to it, it rattled off incredible mimicry of about half a dozen other bird calls from the forest. You won't see it in the little video. They are so hard to spot.
Absolutely beautiful thank you for sharing

Have not got a clue. My herpetology skills run to telling the difference between a grass snake, adder and slow worm but not much more. Not heavily barred on it's back if that's the difference.
In 2017, the grass snakes found in Britain and western Europe were reclassified as a new species (Natrix helvetica) (so this would be a Barred Grass Snake) to separate them from those in central and eastern Europe (Natrix natrix). there is thought to be a small population of Natrix natrix in Sussex area - introduced from Eastern Europe in the 1920s or 30s... i beleive

As the weather is looking sublime for a few more days I decided to move a few hives 50m away on the other side of the field. Nearly broke my back with a couple of them, it as if they haven't used any stores. The bottom tray was showing 2-3 frames of brood so they may tuck into it now. All nucs were looking healthy and were fed.

In 2017, the grass snakes found in Britain and western Europe were reclassified as a new species (Natrix helvetica) (so this would be a Barred Grass Snake) to separate them from those in central and eastern Europe (Natrix natrix). there is thought to be a small population of Natrix natrix in Sussex area - introduced from Eastern Europe in the 1920s or 30s... i beleive

Our cats and hens don't hesitate to get it on the menu.. Not once I had to remove dead snake from our dogs's box, I don't know what they were doing there ( once was one huge Aesculapius' snake).

Latest posts

Back