What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CupKit Queen Rearing First Attempt

Success..... so far!
had a go with a CupKit type kit from Thornes with the Purple Cups.
added the Kit to a Hive i like that's always nice & Calm, smeared honey for that Hive on front cells of Cup Kit and left in Hive for 3 Days.
then caught queen and inserted in Cup Kit.
Day 1 - No Eggs present but Queen & Workers looking relaxed.
Day 2 - Bingo Eggs in each cell cup.

released Queen and closed up Hive.

then took 20 Cups and added to Queen rearing bars using the plastic holders.

Added the Frame Back to a Queenless hive that has a bad attitude.

very pleased to have got this far,

plan moving forward is Check back in 8 Days, if any queen cells have been made then get started on 2 x mating Hives that are kicking around

i want to requiem the hive with nasty bees & start two new colonies.

fingers crossed.

If possible I would check sooner if the bees don’t remove the eggs you should see larvae in the cells on day 4 after she laid up. Just gives you a chance to try again sooner.

He must be looking down on me.
My grandads bee's are booming no swarm preps.. Three supers. top one capped and if this weather keeps going they will need a fourth.
Double brood colony that has had three box reversals and frames manipulated between boxes. Nothing more!

Set up a 5 frame jumbo lang nuc as a starter /finisher .

Going to try grafting for the first time - which will be fun.. Head magnifier , head torch and slimmed down chinese grafting tool..

I'll save the bottle of gin for celebrations if it works.. (or my hand shakes :paparazzi:)

Set up a 5 frame jumbo lang nuc as a starter /finisher .

Going to try grafting for the first time - which will be fun.. Head magnifier , head torch and slimmed down chinese grafting tool..

I'll save the bottle of gin for celebrations if it works.. (or my hand shakes :paparazzi:)

Use a maul stick to steady your hand . I have base tremor .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sat in the sun watching the hives. Checked my inspection records to work out if the swarm I captured on Mnday was one of mine. Pretty darn sure it was....:sunning::cuss:

Such neat bees!!!
E

Thanks.These are from queens I rear. Most of queens I produce by myself, I buy few from time to time ( last year none) to compare performances.. I use jenter+cloake, ( max 24 qcells per breeding colony)and feed pure honey until the qcells are capped. I know many will tell not wise in matter of health and economy, but - Hey I am amateur and for me this works superbly and I don't care what they say. In this time queens which cannot lay full frame are in the line for retirement.. In a year I change over 90% of queens, some will tell I am too picky.. But for me worth it... In the beginning when I was mostly buying or taking swarm qcells, it was a mess.. Until I took books in my hands and bother my mentor..

Nothing in apiary's today, back to it tomorrow.
O/H delivered to Hope House Hospice and a local care home. One sponsored by Business Wales from us for world bee day & the other the charity we support.

Have thirty two new nuc box's to fill in the next few days, another batch of twelve queens should also arrive tomorrow for last weeks nucs

Three day’s after I put oxalic acid strips in this lot

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• BE14562F-0338-4DA7-A121-B2A1AA84BF46.jpeg
    BE14562F-0338-4DA7-A121-B2A1AA84BF46.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 199
  • 2D4407D7-AF68-42FA-87EA-5F0CF01F7F76.jpeg
    2D4407D7-AF68-42FA-87EA-5F0CF01F7F76.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 185
Was in the chicken shed this afternoon and came outside where I heard the buzz of a large approaching swarm from the direction of the village. There were two 14 × 12 brood boxes with last year's frames stacked in my bee stuff cart awaiting cleaning and a crownboard on top to keep inquisitive visitors out. Unbeknown to me this had been knocked and left a gap. The swarm moved in as I stood and watched.
Looking in when the sun had gone round the swarm was occupying both boxes so I secured the crownboard and towed the cart round to its permanent position where I stood the boxes on an omf on a stand, put a roof on and left them to settle in. Put a nuc on the original position to mop up any stragglers.
I'm in isolation lockdown so it was nice that the bees came to me as I've fended off a couple of calls this year that would require me to leave my own premises.

Thanks.These are from queens I rear. Most of queens I produce by myself, I buy few from time to time ( last year none) to compare performances.. I use jenter+cloake, ( max 24 qcells per breeding colony)and feed pure honey until the qcells are capped. I know many will tell not wise in matter of health and economy, but - Hey I am amateur and for me this works superbly and I don't care what they say. In this time queens which cannot lay full frame are in the line for retirement.. In a year I change over 90% of queens, some will tell I am too picky.. But for me worth it... In the beginning when I was mostly buying or taking swarm qcells, it was a mess.. Until I took books in my hands and bother my mentor..

Cool cat and bees.

It’s at the back of the hive and underneath the omf in the grass
They are chewing the strips up like Swarm says.
I left the inspection tray in the first night and what I did notice was pools of glycerine so some of it must drip slowly down the strips.

Are you using those strips to clean the hive Dani? ;)

Latest posts

Back