What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At my place is said: all the beeks agree only on one thing - always approach the hive from back side.. Seems not quite right statement after all..

I’m English I approach my hive from the side !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yes the idea is to inspect from behind the hives, they are all in a row facing the same way but different coloured hives and a sheltered spot will assist in reducing drifting.

You will find that drifting (drones excepted) is not noticeable even if all your hives are in a straight line and are the same colour....and even if it were an issue they are your bees so its not as though they are benefiting anyone else.

You will find that drifting (drones excepted) is not noticeable even if all your hives are in a straight line and are the same colour....and even if it were an issue they are your bees so its not as though they are benefiting anyone else.

Exactly, already have 6 in a row on the other side of the apiary and 4 in a row in the garden, never had an issue. Also helps my OCD having things in straight lines and organised lol

Bees very busy today. Lots of pollen coming in and plenty of young bees doing orientation flights.

Made a up a set of brood frames for later in the year with my young budding beekeeper son.

Busy bottling honey - the .Gov advice that it helps with some coronavirus symptoms seems to have caused an increase in demand.

At last market sold £700 in 4.5hrs, double the usual. Similar elsewhere; heard from others that online orders are also going through the roof. Best make the most of it as farmers' markets may not be around for the duration, although some are already planning and starting to supply online.

Last edited:
Smoker Cleaning

Cleaned my smoker today ready for first inspections this weekend. I used this product, which worked very well!

Just get a good hot fire going in the smoker using small bits of wood, then add a scoop of the crystals and close the smoker. Keep it hot for about an hour.

Attachments

• 20200403_174543.jpg
    20200403_174543.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 72
Cleaned my smoker today ready for first inspections this weekend. I used this product, which worked very well!

Just get a good hot fire going in the smoker using small bits of wood, then add a scoop of the crystals and close the smoker. Keep it hot for about an hour.

Use a pressure washer, does an amazing job.

Put a second box on 10 hives at the out apiary. Bees seem to be ok except one a bit slow to start so I will give it some extra brood soon. One though is the hive from hell and that will be re queened as soon as possible, I still have one spare at home.

My hives are extremely sheltered and with the forecast being good, I finally removed the insulation and fondant trays. I added a super on each hive. The hive I didn't think would make it through the winter being so weak was fine and was quite feisty when I took the CB off. the other hive that was created from a combined Q- colony and a local swarm was absolutely fine. it was like "oh, you have taken off the roof and CB? Whatever Bro" :rolleyes:
Afterwards there were huge clouds of bees bringing in orange and cream pollen to both hives. Fingers crossed I manage to get some spring honey.

Moved 4 colonies out of the garden to one of my out apiaries. School closure means an increased garden presence from my children so decided (or rather was firmly encouraged by higher authority) that it wasn't worth the risk of sting discomfort or a reaction to a sting. Will miss being able to observe pollen colours coming in and overall activity so readily. I've yet to establish whether Apideas count as a colony.....
Setting up a bait hive later on as there are at least 4 other beekeepers in the village within 1km.

Sick. Checked through my over wintered nucs containing last years queens. All had only a small patch of sealed brood. No eggs or larvae. Not many bees and because of that, since I saw no queens, I am sure they are all Q-. ( I usually have no trouble queen spotting) Production colonies all busy today and will go through them tomorrow. Guessing they will all be OK. Warned my friend who is starting bee keeping this year that he might have to wait a bit for the nuc I said I would give him

Moved 4 colonies out of the garden to one of my out apiaries. School closure means an increased garden presence from my children so decided (or rather was firmly encouraged by higher authority) that it wasn't worth the risk of sting discomfort or a reaction to a sting. Will miss being able to observe pollen colours coming in and overall activity so readily. I've yet to establish whether Apideas count as a colony.....
Setting up a bait hive later on as there are at least 4 other beekeepers in the village within 1km.

I feel your pain.

We have a flow that has just started, not sure what it is as the hawthorn is not out yet. All colonies are already very active, lots of brood, first drones have emerged. I had to add supers on all hives and transfer 2 overwinter nucs in full hives. Very pleased.

We have a flow that has just started, not sure what it is as the hawthorn is not out yet. All colonies are already very active, lots of brood, first drones have emerged. I had to add supers on all hives and transfer 2 overwinter nucs in full hives. Very pleased.

Dandelion?

Latest posts

Back