What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been cold here for last couple of weeks. Due to warm up quite a bit for next two days, so weighed out my oxalic ready to treat tomorrow
I'm sure you mean Apibioxal Drex, unless of course your cleaning your hives? 😉

A mate an I are geared up to do the best part of 50 hives on 13 sites on Election Day. I expect we will spend the time together debating the pros and cons of each party........... not!
I value his friendship too much 😀

Many moons ago, before it became common practice, when I was a GP, I always prescribed generically. That is by the actual drug name rather than trade name. That way the pharmacist could supply the cheapest version of the drug, saving the NHS pounds. It is now expected of doctors.
Makes sense and I still apply that principle.

Many moons ago, before it became common practice, when I was a GP, I always prescribed generically. That is by the actual drug name rather than trade name. That way the pharmacist could supply the cheapest version of the drug, saving the NHS pounds. It is now expected of doctors.

well said that man - guess we have to word some of this carefully on a public forum ... now on the beekeeping dark web on the other hand !!

Oh if only it was legal in the beekeeping world!

Strange that generic drugs can be dispensed for humans to save money but not for bees! ��

Did my mite treatments as it is warmer today after a cold spell. I would normally vape , but as I have some outlying hives and could not be bothered to lug car batteries, I decided to trickle them all. It was so much quicker.

All main colonies good and strong as we're all the nucs except one which only had 2-3 seams of bees. The nucs all got some fresh fondant, as some had gone through it completely and others were low. No bees flying today, but not in cluster, so a good day to do it

Veped eight colonies last week and checked the inspection trays today..five of these hives had Apitraz on them during autumn treatment..all these five had not a single varroa drop...the three that where not treated with Apitraz dropped around 100/150 each..if I had the kit with me I would do them again but they will have to wait till next week

Last edited:
Popped over to check the bees at the castle - the longhorns had been in the field for a while so it was a right quagmire and didn't want to risk making it worse so a brisk uphill walk to the foot of the castle crag, OA'd, hefted, all fine for stores and tucked up for another month. Then the rain came.............

I had a colony drop a hundred or so last Sunday. They’re getting another vape next Sunday.

Vaped all mine three times in autumn. One still had a slight drop so went to vape it last week,, then decided I might as well give all five another shot. Four out of the five have had had a significant fall! Seems to have been a bad year!!
E

Vaped all mine three times in autumn. One still had a slight drop so went to vape it last week,, then decided I might as well give all five another shot. Four out of the five have had had a significant fall! Seems to have been a bad year!!
E
I shall be trickling Apibioxal in a week or so. Interested that several members here are vaping three or more times.
I understood that trickling method should only be done once as otherwise bees can be harmed. Have l misunderstood? First time using OA, previously treated only in Autumn with Apivar Life.

I shall be trickling Apibioxal in a week or so. Interested that several members here are vaping three or more times.
I understood that trickling method should only be done once as otherwise bees can be harmed. Have l misunderstood? First time using OA, previously treated only in Autumn with Apivar Life.

Trickling just the once.

Checked and vaped all four today. Heard a goodly, angry buzz from two, a less angry buzz from one and no buzz at all from one. Checked under the hive to find the OA on the pallet beneath. I have this problem on this particular hive regularly and don't understand it at all. Will vape it again and hope for better results, if still poor will get the stuff to dribble it.

Checked and vaped all four today. Heard a goodly, angry buzz from two, a less angry buzz from one and no buzz at all from one. Checked under the hive to find the OA on the pallet beneath. I have this problem on this particular hive regularly and don't understand it at all. Will vape it again and hope for better results, if still poor will get the stuff to dribble it.

Can you not vape through the entrance?

Can you not vape through the entrance?

I've not done so up to now - always done it from under the floor, with the Varrox on a mesh sheet I slide in the slots for the inspection tray.
I've read about Varrox sublimators causing fires (all American reports!!) if it touches beeswax or floor debris and so have been reluctant to put it in the entrance.
I need to do something different to ensure proper varroa control.

I've not done so up to now - always done it from under the floor, with the Varrox on a mesh sheet I slide in the slots for the inspection tray.
I've read about Varrox sublimators causing fires (all American reports!!) if it touches beeswax or floor debris and so have been reluctant to put it in the entrance.
I need to do something different to ensure proper varroa control.

With bottom bee space it should fine. That’s how most people did it when the varrox first came out.
I must admit I singed a few bottom bars but I have top space.
You could buy a sublimox and vape from the top or above the omf

I often have OA condensing onto the OMF and I make sure I brush it off when next vaping. Again not sure why it does this. Maybe the distance between the OA tray and the OMF. I also wonder if it’s the OA which looks as though it’s absorbed water as it’s not quite as dry crystallised as it should be. It arrived in that state and my previous purchases looked drier. I add to the OA to make up the weight to compensate for the loss staying under the OMF.

I often have OA condensing onto the OMF and I make sure I brush it off when next vaping. Again not sure why it does this. Maybe the distance between the OA tray and the OMF. I also wonder if it’s the OA which looks as though it’s absorbed water as it’s not quite as dry crystallised as it should be. It arrived in that state and my previous purchases looked drier. I add to the OA to make up the weight to compensate for the loss staying under the OMF.

Latest posts

Back