What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost worth watching England win to see the smug superior look on Hensen et al's faces being wiped off in the mud :D
Hopefully we will see an all Northern hemishpere final to drum it into them that Rugby's coming home where it belongs

rugby22rugby2:Wales_flag::unionsmilie:England66

Almost worth watching England win to see the smug superior look on Hensen et al's faces being wiped off in the mud :D
Hopefully we will see an all Northern hemishpere final to drum it into them that Rugby's coming home where it belongs

rugby22rugby2:Wales_flag::unionsmilie:England66

I was so willing WALES on
So near and yet so far

Yesterday should have been the final.
England have every chance of beating all of the 'big three', I can't see the Boks living with them.
Picked myself up with a visit to the bees, nice midday sunshine.
Apivar strips removed and a quick assessment of the colonies before closing up and hefting. Every colony, including the nuc are nicely heavy so were given probably their last half gallon of invert.
One double brood Amm has not been fed at all and they feel nailed down so I felt much better and with all my lovely, black bees sitting there looking happy, I forgot all about the game.

Feeders taken off and insulation placed on top of the CB as it is getting very cold now up here. the BB's are heavy so fingers crossed they have enough food to take them through the winter. There are still a few flyers bringing in pollen but I will be monitoring the weight and ready to feed Fondant if required.

Used up some 25mm recticel and made a few framed insulated boards to fit on the crown boards. Removed all the feeders and fitted the new boards.
Various pollen loads going in, one lot looked like cotton wool.

Took the Apitraz strips out of the last two hives. Was two weeks overdue but today was the only real chance due to it not raining. Was as quick as possible to make sure I minimised their inconvenience.

Took the syrup away since they stopped taking it down. Cleaned out the ashforth poly feeder. Replaced their crown board with a nice clear one I had made up.

y4mgRzP0mxK6NOD6t9VyAKmNTCjtka95nofGZCzVEF_dWD-MxsCPX6LU_GqeBTkVmAMKuSw-Eyu0-7y9HuwVGM4DhtIge-hgdmZG7np3AY5j1uby9cSehj3oXlOmUCU6fAQOJkECFlqO9240quGHH-yrnXeHgXoBlcpDgN5ROksDHCqJmUNWG9fM6WkKDb_m2-II-jLIhoBuuY1jOPTNT7yvw

And since I was kitted out I gave my other Abelo poly a transparent crown board, then an Eke with wool insulation inside.

That will hopefully be the last time they need to be opened up for a long time - as boring as that sounds. Will use the time to get stuff made for next year :D

Took the Apitraz strips out of the last two hives. Was two weeks overdue but today was the only real chance due to it not raining. Was as quick as possible to make sure I minimised their inconvenience.

Took the syrup away since they stopped taking it down. Cleaned out the ashforth poly feeder. Replaced their crown board with a nice clear one I had made up.

y4mgRzP0mxK6NOD6t9VyAKmNTCjtka95nofGZCzVEF_dWD-MxsCPX6LU_GqeBTkVmAMKuSw-Eyu0-7y9HuwVGM4DhtIge-hgdmZG7np3AY5j1uby9cSehj3oXlOmUCU6fAQOJkECFlqO9240quGHH-yrnXeHgXoBlcpDgN5ROksDHCqJmUNWG9fM6WkKDb_m2-II-jLIhoBuuY1jOPTNT7yvw

And since I was kitted out I gave my other Abelo poly a transparent crown board, then an Eke with wool insulation inside.

That will hopefully be the last time they need to be opened up for a long time - as boring as that sounds. Will use the time to get stuff made for next year :D

Love the crown board.

Do you ever sell any? I would be interested.

How many seams of bees have you got there? They look a little sparse

I wish my frames looked that clean and new!!!!
E

You and me both !! And my clear crown boards that clear ....

Topped up my feeders ... one colony well up to weight four more still taking it down - enjoying the benefits of Invertbee for the first time .. in the past I've always made my own 2:1 but time is precious this year and the ivy crop has been nothing like previous years (weather just been awaful) so I bought some Invertbee. The bees are still bring in buckets full of pollen when they are flying ... quite a nice (but cold) day down here in the Costa del Fareham so they were busy.

Last edited:
How many seams of bees have you got there? They look a little sparse

Yeah cheers Dani, they were a bit flighty straight from opening so I used some smoke. That pic was taken shortly after sticking that clear crown board on, when they started to come back up out the frames.

I'm surprised at how flighty they were compared to the other hive. Especially since this colony has the new buckfast queen (installed 11th September...).

Yeah cheers Dani, they were a bit flighty straight from opening so I used some smoke. That pic was taken shortly after sticking that clear crown board on, when they started to come back up out the frames.

I'm surprised at how flighty they were compared to the other hive. Especially since this colony has the new buckfast queen (installed 11th September...).

Just an observation
Nice clean top bars though. :)

Painted up some new poly nucs, will transfer some bees over tomorrow weather permitting!!

Solar wax melters

Moved my solar wax melters into my plantless cold greenhouse.
Hopefully they will dry out for refurbishment.
I have some stored dry cappings which could go into them.

removed the apivar sheets from the hives - bees were pretty cool and its was done quickly

noted a few slugs enjoying the warmth ...

ready for an additional vape at xmas just as I have the kit

Back