What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heavy rain and few flyers gave me the opportunity to move some nucs to a new apiary site, which is very close to a large garden centre. A rare case where I definitely needed the 4WD

Not quite in apiary but on friends farm, Had to removed bees from a chimney in the old brew house that is coming down, managed to get most of the honey & brood comb out and neatly into cardboard box, they were put in the chimney of and old WW2 concrete shelter that was part of the old airfield. so well protected, couldn't find the Queen, so hope they survive.
Don't advise working in Bee suit with overalls over the top, in a work cage on the end of a telehandler its quite warm!!

picture.php

Oh man, well done! Must have been an interesting experience :D

Visited one of my apiary sites. Wattle pollen time ....

Attachments

• IMG_20190815_140131219.jpg
    IMG_20190815_140131219.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 78
Another learning curve today.... took the honey supers off hives last weekend. All hives had good brood box stores. Today at my out apiary I had 2 hives that were close to starving. Luckly I had some fondant in the car, on it went.... will get some syrup on them in a couple of days.

Poor weather and and very strong hives I think was the problem....

It doesn't look like robbing to me. One thing is that I would expect to see at least some bees locked together fighting.

Yeah, I was watching them for ages and couldn't make my mind up.

The other two colonies are steady away. I knocked this entrance down a little in case of robbing (whatever that will do..). They seem to land anywhere and are really skittish. Barely any coming in with pollen.

Yeah, I was watching them for ages and couldn't make my mind up.

The other two colonies are steady away. I knocked this entrance down a little in case of robbing (whatever that will do..). They seem to land anywhere and are really skittish. Barely any coming in with pollen.

I would inspect to see what is going on.

Normal behaviour, to and fro, no fighting. Pollen not going in, due to a brood break? Each hive has a different characteristic. The hive is possibly weaker than the other hives. Nothing to worry about.

Cheers Anduril,

All is calm now. There were eggs when I had a look in. They're the biggest and strongest colony I have but I am confident it was normal behaviour.
I'm not often about at peak times so not quite used to what goes on between 9-5

Checked amount of brood and put apivar strips into 26 colonies and also assessed level of stores. Found/killed drone laying queen (2019 queen reared in May and which started OK but failed a few weeks ago). A few colonies a little light so went to Morrisons to get sugar. Last week £1.10 for 2 kilo bag, today gone up to £1.30. Shocking above inflation rise! Not buying at that price. Need to see how much in Farm foods or B&M

Checked amount of brood and put apivar strips into 26 colonies and also assessed level of stores. Found/killed drone laying queen (2019 queen reared in May and which started OK but failed a few weeks ago). A few colonies a little light so went to Morrisons to get sugar. Last week £1.10 for 2 kilo bag, today gone up to £1.30. Shocking above inflation rise! Not buying at that price. Need to see how much in Farm foods or B&M

B&M is showing 50p for 1kg

B&M is showing 50p for 1kg

Farmfoods £1.10 for 2kg.. Online vouchers £2 off £25,10% off £50.

Lots of stock (pallets) - local B&M has little

Pulled honey yesterday, only about 180 to 200 pounds but very happy with that as I have nearly tripled my number of hives this year. I am using my brand new Lyson swing cage extractor this year which is a real treat for me as I have been using a third owner hand me down for the last 9 years. It's like driving a Rolls Royce after using a push bike!

Looked through them yesterday and removed two brood frames with queen cups and royal jelly into a queenless Neuc.

Checked on new queen, found eggs, closed up.
Looked at the supers still waiting to come off and hoping my back gets better so I am able to lift them.

Latest posts

Back