What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gorgeous sunshine in North East England most of the day! Veritable motorways of forage flights going in three directions. Wonderful to behold.

First full inspection, my smallest colony and oldest queen [2016]. I had no smoke but I know these bees and no aggression from me lifting out the frames [deep brood]. Just three frames with plenty brood and Queen looking well moving about well. And - Ah! - a large play cup in supersedure position on 7th from West. Empty of course as the queen well knows there are no drones about yet. No other queen cups. I'd love this one to go to supersedure and her daughter work with her mother. Gonna leave it. Unusual time of year for this???

Two outer frames heavy with deeply crystalized autumn store so I took them out and replaced with new foundation. Brood frames well supplied with a rainbow of accessible honey and fresh stored pollen mostly willow. Hey this colony - not for a moment did I think 'oops where's my smoke!' They just got on and I just got on. Nice.

BTW this lady is my "Queen of Spades" - not a stripe on her she's all black. Swarmy lass in her younger years I've fetched her back out of trees twice!

I'll get to first inspecting the big-uns - with smoke - in the next few days if the weather keeps like it is. All three are 2018 queens so I don't yet know if they are swarmy.

Tom

The weather is due to be warm tomorrow then cooler (11-12) Saturday and Sunday. Then back into the early teens all next week.

OSR will be out next week so fingers crossed it gets z little warmer than predicted. Supers going on Sunday or Monday.

Oh nearly forgot... bee shed is up and nearly full, but the garage is not empty......

Checked the polly Nuc in my mothers garden 15 mins ago and the bees are fanning at the entrance..it has been a warm day today so i presume they have been gathering nectar from somewhere..

I inspected one of my clients hives today, they were certainly getting nectar from somewhere as they had 2 frames of wet stores!

You've got a good one there Pete! All my wife does is complain about all the "bee crap" I have around the house.

It was my wife’s idea to get bees but young children mean I tend to the bees in the main. Took her down to see them harvesting the fondant tonight and the hum from the hives is a lovely sound to hear again. They have been busy the last few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I inspected one of my clients hives today, they were certainly getting nectar from somewhere as they had 2 frames of wet stores!

I am biting the bullet for now with this Nuc but it has me thinking that they need more room..i will keep a close eye on it the way the weather is performing..it might be in a full brood box by next week but we will see..

Nothing: overcast and 10C.
So started cleaning mini mating nucs..labour of love job..
Not popular when I commandeer both kitchen sinks to clean (after removing was in garage)..

Five completely finished and drying , another ten to go..
Glad to escape to yoga :paparazzi:

It was my wife’s idea to get bees but young children mean I tend to the bees in the main. Took her down to see them harvesting the fondant tonight and the hum from the hives is a lovely sound to hear again. They have been busy the last few days.

I know! It's a sound that gets inside your brain. Sometimes, I close my eyes to sleep and can still hear the buzzing...some people hear voices. I just hear buzzing :icon_204-2:

I know! It's a sound that gets inside your brain. Sometimes, I close my eyes to sleep and can still hear the buzzing...some people hear voices. I just hear buzzing :icon_204-2:

Time to visit the doc? You may have tinnitus. ;)

Or you may have a bee in there??

Well I had plans, but in the end with temperatures maxing out at just 8C and a strong wind I decided to spend the time I had reading.

Locked in and moved a colony of bees that I prepped up with an O M underfloor entrance floor and a travel screen earlier in the week.... 14 x 12 polly brood box was surprisingly heavy... mesh to stop the girlies cooking themselves to death.. that they can do when excited in a polly box!!

Pleasant evening and a wintery sunset.... why I live in Cornwall.

Chons da

Who hasn't experienced this? I'm sure we all have

No hum for me except when I'm at the hives. No not once. Is six years not long enough yet for it to bed in???
Mind I have visual replay quite a lot. Especially after watching a queen on the comb and she mesmerises me. That clip will play over and over.

I was under supervision for the construction of their new extension.

6cb163007ab8489c9f7c779358391669.jpg

Made some more frames, so now have enough made up for every eventuality....or so I think.
Made a stand for a poly nuc bait hive, to raise it a couple of feet.
Now have two ready to go.
Watched the bees come and go from all three hives - taking in loads of pussy willow pollen from next door's tree.
Great to see them so busy and hear the buzz again.
OSR in flower outside Yeovil, but not quite in flower around my location yet.
Will need to add first supers in a couple of weeks I reckon. Forecast is better for next week.
And so it begins....

I went through the hives today to check on fondant levels..all are looking good with lots of pollen from willow and Gorse going in..its a couple of weeks early for willow so I will have to keep a close eye on them..this one on brood plus half is flying away..shame they are not so nice..a Romanian f2 buckfast rules the roost...

Attachments

• 20190323_132926-01.jpeg
    20190323_132926-01.jpeg
    271.4 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Checked hives today for fondant , 4 of the hives with 2 inch ekes are half full of comb with stores , I think it's time for a super on these hives ?

Back