What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Held back tears,swallowed bitter pills,kicked my own ass and shovelled up ( with a very small shovel) the remains of my only colony.(see 'Fatality' post if you could offer me your opinion)
Went on to another job and burned out by best drill.
Id left the house partly to give the missus a bit of space as her mums just died.
Hope you guys had more fun than we did...

I am a herfordshire lad (Ledbury tho now based in S London) so wishing you a better tomorrow and will say a prayer for your mother in law RIP

Apricots are blooming and bees are on them.. They opened first flowers on Saturday. Willows passed and bees heavily exploited them. Cornel is still holding but passed the peak.. Blackthorn opened on Sunday. Plums, pears are few days from blooming All is too early, just one nice frost and all the fruits will go to hell.. But if this prolongue..I don't know how to keep bees down from swarming.. Some says even saw some new white comb already.. I am in worry for black locust, not much of water during winter.. it will be very doubtful nectar flow..
Forgot, lost another colony. They hit the bottom, full of bees, little varroa found. Either old bees ( didn't saw the queen) and N. cerana or combined.. whatever, it's gone.

Last edited:
Well its still blowing a hooley with the inevitable horizontal rain . Bee numbers appear to be low, probably the older ones dying before the new are hatched and ready as a result of the warmer spell, hope its not fatal.

Cool and blowing here but bees still out when the sun hit the hives, topped up some syrup and some really are plowing into it. Weather looking good next week, fingers crossed may get a look in some..

Plums are blooming.. Smell of apricot and plum flowers is so refreshing and it smells as honey. I love spring when all scents explode in nature and covers the mountain.. A lot of various wild flowers in forest and orchard but bees are all in trees..

Very strong winds and intermittent rain here today. Raining hard now.
One colony active & flying, other two watching movies.
Pussy willows are loaded in pollen and getting trashed...:banghead:

Blowing a gale here.... should get better tomorrow onwards.... Bee shed going up tomorrow, wife will be pleased she will be able to get in the garage to the freezer....

She has not considered the fact that once you fill the shed you will be back in the garage?

You get rules i get lists....why do women like making lists?...I guess the new rules mark 2 could mean another new shed

Just about to go do some gardening 8c sunny and fairly windy mass pile out time for my suite I can see cherry and blackthorn and willow with in 100 metres go get it girlys ....:winner1st:

Put fondant on all the hives in case we don’t get nectar soon. First time I have looked in the hives and all are doing well and have weathered the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Prepared a polly hive for moving later in the week.... Owners are building a stone wall and poor chap building it is allergic to honeybees.

Bees flying well and nice and heavy. Resisted temptation to take a peep at brood!!

Put on OMF cedar under entrance floor as easy to block in.. and travel screen on top, straps in place.

Cover board and roof strapped back on.

Only moving 30 miles to new site ... but do not want them overheating..... 30 miles of Cornish lanes including a river crossing / ford short cut... just 7 miles as the bee flies!

Made a bird box. Checked fondant levels. All good.
Found so much pollen on the inspection trays - I reckon the bees lose it squeezing through the holes in the mouse guard.
Removed mouse guards and reduced entrances to approx 8 inches.

Attachments

• bloom 1.jpg
    bloom 1.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 53
  • bloom 2.jpg
    bloom 2.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 36
  • bloom 3.jpg
    bloom 3.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 34
  • bloom 4.jpg
    bloom 4.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 34
  • bloom 5.jpg
    bloom 5.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 41
Nice 👌

We’re probably 4-6 weeks behind... who knows exactly, maybe more. Last 2-3 weeks has been awful here, constant rain and high winds.

Not good as it seems.. Thanks to climate changes which contributed heavily to devastation of our agriculture.. All goes into flowers and next week snow and frost allegedly.. This could end up with no fruit to eat this year..
I already don't expect black locust honey this year for me.. Going for selling bees if I manage.. But is hard as less and less people are here every day..

Back