What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
added Fondant to all my full sized hives, surprisingly light so fingers crossed I've caught them in time.
I used 25mm Celotex with a hole cut in the centre large enough to take 1kg of feed, carefully cut 2 holes into the polycarbonate crown board to coincide with the seams (bottom space hives) the lid fits nicely over the top.

Nucs will have to have an Eke to allow me to do the same, I've taken the dividers out of the miller feeders before but neither I or the bees like that arrangement.

QUOTE=P
Is amitraz allowed in Europe, EU, Britain? In our forum often discussed the issue that Europe uses only organic acids. Is it true?[/QUOTE]

Yes Amitraz is available, I have been using with good results for quite a few years. I first started using when I found after treating with thymol, the bees had an exceptionally heavy infestation and it was too late in the year to try anything else. I obtained the treatment from a vet at that time but now buy on the open market. I treat in the autumn using Apivar and take treatments off early December, then treat with vapes of OA in early spring.
I will be trying a few VSH Buckfast queens next year to see how they manage varroa and still produce a good crop.
S

After the heavy storms of the last few days it was calm and sunny, 8 degrees plus, so I took the opportunity to check stores and so on. Fondant appeared untouched, a couple of bees came to investigate the 'disturbance', seemed OK.

Took advantage of the calm, mild weather yesterday to check on 2 allotment hives. Both left on Full Langstroth brood with a full super of stores. Seem to be ok got 100mm kingspan in another super over CB for insulation. Both hives had quite a few flying bees, some returning loaded with yellow pollen.

Weighed all the colonies yesterday in poly hives and these are the results..

Double Brood 40lb of stores.
Double Brood 45lb of stores.
Single Brood Box 45lb of stores.
Brood + Half 40lb of stores.
Brood + Half 25lb of stores.
Brood + Half 20lb of stores.
The six frame Nuc feels good..
Ekes where added and 2kg of fondant placed on the top bars where it was needed..

Vaped everything on Saturday and checked mite drops today. Minimal on all hives with OMF (Half are solid floor) Maximum drop 3 mites.. Encouraging . Will redo Thursday.

When you say "of stores" do you mean the entire hive or do you subtract a figure from the total weight?

When you say "of stores" do you mean the entire hive or do you subtract a figure from the total weight?
I have the weight of the full hive with drawn frames but empty of bees and stores... i just subtract the empty hive weight from a full hive weight...
The way i weigh them a B+H poly hive weighs 45lb empty of bees and stores.

Called in by one of the last of the old flower groweres in the Tamar Valley to look at some old abandoned hives.... all empty... one had an old wasp nest ( ? this summers)
All Langstroths cedar... well past sell by date... so we burned the lot!

Nadelik Lowen

Robbing is not the reason. What treatment did you apply? Many our beekeepers use stripes (fluvalinate) made in Serbia and Bulgaria; amitraz from Hungary, something else from elsewhere... They are supposed to be high quality. Russian are bad in general, often with antibiotics. Russia does not care about antibiotics at all. Our local producers also falsify their production, sometimes it works but often doesn't.

colonies of 5 seams are small in my conditions. 4 is a minimum that can survive in open air if winter is warm. My 3 frames baby is still alive and buzzing after -18 at some nights.

Is amitraz allowed in Europe, EU, Britain? In our forum often discussed the issue that Europe uses only organic acids. Is it true?

Err.. now you made me look at my notes.. Last year 16th December, they were avg little more of 5 seams and all went in spring alive.. They are carnies.. So I am not worried much.
This dead one might be combination on not enough winter bees and varroa reinvasion due to mild weather in autumn - at least I think. I was today at the apiary and all seems OK. On 2nd apiary wild boars almost closed entrance with dirt and leaves at one hive but they didn't touch the hive. They even lazily move away when I came and wait in the bushes for me to leave to can continue with " digging"..

On 2nd apiary wild boars almost closed entrance with dirt and leaves at one hive but they didn't touch the hive. They even lazily move away when I came and wait in the bushes for me to leave to can continue with " digging"..
And how about creatures on two legs? They can do much harm especially if your apiary is in the wilderness without a guard.

My apiary now is covered with snow about 30 cm. Three days of snowing.

Getting ready for oxalic trickle (40 hives to do, 25 of which are mine) . A sample of three hives checked and no brood found so waiting on the weather. Sunday looks promising. Will heft them at same time.

Spent a few hours today turning over the beds on the allotment, first day I haven’t seen a single bee flying. Put the varroa trays in under the OMF’s so I can monitor mite drop before treatment. Took the opportunity to weed & thin out the masses of forget me not in front of the hives.
Weather is confusing things, spring bulbs coming through and willow well in bud

Spent a few hours today turning over the beds on the allotment, first day I haven’t seen a single bee flying. Put the varroa trays in under the OMF’s so I can monitor mite drop before treatment. Took the opportunity to weed & thin out the masses of forget me not in front of the hives.
Weather is confusing things, spring bulbs coming through and willow well in bud

Dark bees were on the Daphne today... Spring shirley must be coming early!

Nadelik Lowen

And how about creatures on two legs? They can do much harm especially if your apiary is in the wilderness without a guard.

My apiary now is covered with snow about 30 cm. Three days of snowing.

Err.. I am more afraid of wild boars turn the hives upside down or woodpeckers drill the hives than of humans.. There are few reasons, these days bees worth nothing since honey price is disgracefully low and people finally saw that and are abandoning beekeeping.. I myself also think to reduce significantly my hive count.. Other reason is I am 3km of dirt road uphill ( rally ride), so if someone is going downhill driving hives at the foot of mountain I can ask him for a health.. Cause only I have bees up there..
Today is snowing ( and still), it will also tomorrow, so it will be pretty covered.. I am thinking of going uphill tomorrow, will see..
I planned to treat with OA, but other obligations restrained me of that. Next week I will have to.. I got new automatic syringe, I have to modify the cork for bottle but overall seems really good..

Hefted my hives. One I could just about move with three fingers. The other won't budge. Both inspection boards had fresh brood cappings. None flying, but it's pretty cold now.

There are few reasons, these days bees worth nothing since honey price is disgracefully low and people finally saw that and are abandoning beekeeping..
This is a positive side of the low price. Nevertheless there are many fools in my country who are ready to steal hives. Bees are still expensive. For example a few days ago here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D87qRJo878
16 hives have disappeared. The owner has a "photo-trap" but the batteries were dead because of the low temperature and he didn't recharge them in time. Electricity is far from there.

I think it's too late for treatment. Today I also found the dead colony and another one is going to follow... Obviously varroa. The colonies were big and strong during autumn. Thymol didn't help them. They might cast it away and I didn't notice. Some colonies may need something stronger than thymol. Anyway it's my mistakes.
It's growing colder now -4. The next week will be cold again. Compare to the moderate winter 17/18 (except March) I don't believe in the global warming now.
IMG_3225.jpg

It's growing colder now -4. The next week will be cold again. Compare to the moderate winter 17/18 (except March) I don't believe in the global warming now.
View attachment 16292

Thymol works only in late summer when out temp is over 15C.

Just now I have -9C, and to morrow -1C. I give oxalic trickling to so many as I can..

Bees are on tight cluster, but I first I disturb the clusters, and after 15 minutes I give trickling when cluster expands.

Last edited:
Back