What did you do in the Apiary today?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assessed what supers are due for removal and a check that all is fine with the nucs before having a look through my landlord's bees.
Looks like my drones have been enjoying themselves, this years queens are heading colonies of beautiful, gentle, black bees. He is dead happy but starting to worry about what he is going to do with all his honey.

Did my inspections this morning and the amount of pollen in all hives is massive. I would expect it all would fill 2 full frames if not more. Only in my first year but managed to spot the queen in 1 hive that I had not seen in the 6months I've had the hive so crown of thorns pulled out and now she has a nice white spot. All hives are still laying like trains and no drones kicked out yet....
I also this afternoon spotted a bumble bee fly straight into the nuc box... I watch and it took at least 3-4 mins for it to come out chased by loads of bees....

:sorry:

this isn't the usual "What I did in the apiary" sort of post.

Ten years ago today, my son was stung by a bee. He went into anaphylactic shock and died. You will understand why I chose to spend the day with my son rather than in the apiary. He would have been 18, just 17 days later. He had his whole life infront of him and looking forward to going to a music festival.

This isn't meant to depress anyone. Just a warning to take care and stay safe.

Attachments

• Simon 05-08-2018.jpg
    Simon 05-08-2018.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 59
Checked the supers on all five of my colonies at my home apiary. They're still being filled but only very slowly, it looks like the season is near enough over here.

Took three supers of the colony I have at an out apiary, which are there because they're too feisty for home. Despite being requeened they're still very defensive, and the queen that was in there a few weeks ago has now disappeared and there were signs of a newly emerged queen cell. Hopefully this time round they may have better behaviour, but if not I will unite them with a nice placid nuc that I have spare at home.

Checked the supers on all five of my colonies at my home apiary. They're still being filled but only very slowly, it looks like the season is near enough over here.

Took three supers of the colony I have at an out apiary, which are there because they're too feisty for home. Despite being requeened they're still very defensive, and the queen that was in there a few weeks ago has now disappeared and there were signs of a newly emerged queen cell. Hopefully this time round they may have better behaviour, but if not I will unite them with a nice placid nuc that I have spare at home.

Sounds like they've replaced her :(
Judging by the propolis coming in, my colonies are getting things ready for Winter.

Just watched pollen going into the hives and wasps being refused entry. Too hot for much else. Also concerned about opening the hives with so many wasps about.

Had some wasps buzzing around, they didn't have a clue what to do about UFE's.
Had a look into the porch area of a few hives and plenty of washboarding going on.

:sorry:

this isn't the usual "What I did in the apiary" sort of post.

Ten years ago today, my son was stung by a bee. He went into anaphylactic shock and died. You will understand why I chose to spend the day with my son rather than in the apiary. He would have been 18, just 17 days later. He had his whole life infront of him and looking forward to going to a music festival.

This isn't meant to depress anyone. Just a warning to take care and stay safe.
I hope you had a day of inner peace with happy memories of your son. The most beautiful flower display I have ever seen on a grave showing that he is ever in your thoughts. Thank you for posting.

Kinda puts it all into perspective, all the best B+

Had some wasps buzzing around, they didn't have a clue what to do about UFE's.
Had a look into the porch area of a few hives and plenty of washboarding going on.
Three hives on under floor entrances many dead wasps outside.. so they are getting in.. tunnel entrances on the others No dead wasps outside.mad ehh

Last edited:
I hope you had a day of inner peace with happy memories of your son. The most beautiful flower display I have ever seen on a grave showing that he is ever in your thoughts. Thank you for posting.

Perfectly put beeno. All the best B+

Went through 5 hives.

All very strong with no signs of trouble at the entrances?(which have been reduced). 1 super left to remove from each hive which will be done this week or next. Dried supers from last week removed and stored.

Couple of the hives had absolutely no food in the brood box, so transferred some food filled brood frames from an empty nuc box. Will need to feed these I think unless the ivy starts really soon.

No signs of swarming, just the odd bit of drone brood left. A few drones in the hive but not many. Think I will start reducing the frequency of full inspections (that's cursed it).

Couple of the hives were very defensive, but I guess that's just the time of the year.

Went through 5 hives.

Couple of the hives had absolutely no food in the brood box, so transferred some food filled brood frames from an empty nuc box. Will need to feed these I think unless the ivy starts really soon.

Most of my hives are now like this. From being completely honey bound a few weeks ago to practically empty. Some have two or three solid frames of pollen but no honey. Amazing how quickly they empty frames for brood once the flow stops.
They still have a super each.

All colonies and nucs foraging with gay abandon today without many guards at the hive entrance compared to weeks before. Hope they know what they are doing!

Inspections at the association apiary this evening included a thankful confirmation that Hive 3 - AKA the Devils - have at long last accepted a new queen via newspaper merge with a much nicer colony. This is the firth attempt to deal with these monsters, who are not only evil, they will follow you half way home too. Fingers crossed they will ease up now as newer nicer bees are born.

After we were finished and leaving, I got to my car and checked none of these Hive 3 swines were tagging along. Calmly and thankfully I took off my Beesuit, sat down and started to put my driving shoes on. Another student arrived at his car, which was next to mine. He was wearing one of those combat camouflage suits and neither he, nor I, spotted the mass of Bees hitch-hiking on his suit! He flicked his trousers off and a couple of dozen Bees took flight!

Within a flash, one landed on my eyebrow. I shut my eyes fast, froze as calm as I could and waited for the sting... but amazingly, Ms Bee walked all over my closed eye, around my cheek and eventually launched herself off the end of my nose. The sensation was a real education. They must have razor sharp hooks on their tootsies as it felt like dozens of tiny razor blades poking my eyelid. It all ended up okay though and I shut the door quick. lol!

Went to sort out bees on the borage as they were swathing it today. Drought on chalk land on the Yorkshire wolds has had a devastating impact on the harvest. I estimate about 15lbs per hive down about 5x the normal.
Still as the farmer finished the crop early the bonus is a few more hives to take to the heather.

Funny haven't seen any borage on my part of the wolds
Sod off bk up north beeunfriendly

Wow another giving me grief for no reason......Must be the change in the weather.
Just outside Driffield if you must know...., but you need to be invited.....and depending on year is rarely visible from any road. Picture below is from three years ago...this year it was drought stricken and not a pretty picture..

borage1.jpg

Last edited:
Aye usually nr Lund seen your hives
I'd hide em better now more thefts about
Probably why I didn't see the vibrant blue field
Not far from me at all lol

Back