What am I meant to be doing this time of the year...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What am I meant to be doing this time of the year...

Taking pressies of loverly honey around to all those who helped you last season.... with the hope they will help you in the next!

Yeghes da

Can't help thinking Jon, that as you have been a member of this forum since Feb 2011, maybe you should know by now what you should or shouldn't be doing this time of year! Beekeeping is, as we all know a continuous learning curve, but 5 years in, you should know the basics....

I signed up in 2011, asked perhaps one question. Then took up training and bee keeping this year.

I signed up in 2011, asked perhaps one question. Then took up training and bee keeping this year.

Ok we've established you're in your first year as a beekeeper and had some training. What did the training include and have you followed this forum regularly or just come here infrequently?

I know some insulate hives, I have not.
They had a good stock of suger and water leading up to this colder spell.

Thanks,

Jon

Add insulation above the crown board, particularly if it is a wooden hive.

Check that they have candy or fondant above the cluster. It's sometimes too cold for them to break the cluster and move to honey combs either side of them - so something above their heads may help.

Anyway, that's what I do, and I have almost never lost a colony over winter.

Latest posts

Back