Wax moth: Seeking advice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beersmith

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
A relative newcomer, I started keeping bees this spring.

Things have gone well overall, and I am finding it a fascinating pastime.

Without giving a detailed history of events so far, I am now caring for two smallish but healthy colonies. I have taken a modest harvest of honey and have one super with capped stores that I wil reserve for the bees to help over winter.

My question. Today on checking the colonies I found several adult wax moths under the roof of one hive. They were above the crown board and as far as I could tell had not been able to get inside the hive. I killed a couple but the others flew off.

There was no obvious sign of eggs. But if some have been laid, will the larvae be able to get into the hive and get onto the comb?

As there have been a few wasps about both hives have recently been changed to "wasp excluder" type entrances. It seems unlikely that these comparatively large moths could actually get inside the hives but I do not know if that is sufficient.

Advice and recommendations from more experienced keepers would be most welcome.

As long as your colonies are healthy & there isn't acres of unoccupied space then the bees will sort them out so nothing to worry about. They tend to wreck combs that have had brood on them in dead/dying colonies or on stored frames.

Stored frames can be protected by spraying with Certan.

Don’t worry wax moth are in pretty much in all hives to some degree or another. If you find any tunnels in a comb I find a few taps on the frame with the hive tool often brings them to the surface.

Thank you all for the constructive comments.

I have some empty drawn comb that will over winter in my garage but it has already spent a couple of days in my chest freezer. It will be well wrapped and checked periodically. With care I think I can keep it free of wax moth until next season.

So much to learn. As we get into mid summer the last few weeks has really been another phase as other insects become a nuisance. Wax moths, wasps, ants and earwigs in and around my two colonies all giving me some cause for concern. Fingers crossed for no hornets.

Thanks again.

FWIW I have seen more wax months this year than any year before. I suspect the mild winter had something to do with it.

My initial thought was, are you sure they were wax moths? In an apiary I used to attend there were frequently large moths under the roof. I think they were elm moths. The perceived wisdom at the time was that they must be wax moth as they were close to the hive, but clearly this wasn't correct. Whilst I occasionally come across the odd WM larvae, an occasional moth, (in an abandoned tree bee nest) I can't recall seeing one close to a hive, but clearly they must get there somehow! As I said, just check what the lesser and greater wax moths look like, before you embark on a moth eradication programme!

My initial thought was, are you sure they were wax moths? In an apiary I used to attend there were frequently large moths under the roof. I think they were elm moths. The perceived wisdom at the time was that they must be wax moth as they were close to the hive, but clearly this wasn't correct. Whilst I occasionally come across the odd WM larvae, an occasional moth, (in an abandoned tree bee nest) I can't recall seeing one close to a hive, but clearly they must get there somehow! As I said, just check what the lesser and greater wax moths look like, before you embark on a moth eradication programme!

Thoughtful comment. They certainly seemed very similar to the images I have been able to find on line. But I certainly would not claim to be 100% sure. In any event, rest assured that I lack any ability to have even the slightest impact the local adult moths.

UPDATE

I did an inspection on Thursday 15th. I was disappointed to see two short tracks of bald brood on one of the frames, and one track on another. The remaining frames seemed clear so far. I will watch carefully. For the moment I will have to rely on my industrious lady workers to keep this under control. Of course this does not 100% prove the moths I saw were wax moths, but a reasonable possibility given the above. I hope it doesn't prove too destructive..

Always the same, highs and lows, ups and downs.

Latest posts

Back