Wax moth acetic acid.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjosephd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Hello,

Got a dead freezer, but it's pretty air tight at least.

Got a load of frames/comb.

Some have wax moth b@stard larvae in there already.

Have put a shallow tub of acetic acid sat on top of the frames that I have stacked in the old knackered freezer.

Will that kill the little buggers?

Last edited:
Yes, but not as effective as a teaspoonful of Sulfur burnt on a small piece of paper set on a small mesh trivet, kills all stages of wax moth and only needs doing once if sealed up after treatment, also best treat in the super/box if possible.

Yes, but not as effective as a teaspoonful of Sulfur burnt on a small piece of paper set on a small mesh trivet, kills all stages of wax moth and only needs doing once if sealed up after treatment, also best treat in the super/box if possible.

Interesting.

Sounds like a scene from Trainspotting.

I will try and turn the freezer on. My maybe who had it dead in a garage said it kinda worked as a fridge but wouldn't freeze. It's be thrown around rather a lot.

Is certan a viable effective option? It says needs to be used 'pre infestation'. Not sure what constitutes and infestation.

Interesting.

Sounds like a scene from Trainspotting.

I will try and turn the freezer on. My maybe who had it dead in a garage said it kinda worked as a fridge but wouldn't freeze. It's be thrown around rather a lot.

Is certan a viable effective option? It says needs to be used 'pre infestation'. Not sure what constitutes and infestation.

I have had one of these for years to blast the greenhouses as i was sick to death of white fly, it done the trick i will rig something up in the future to gas a pile of boxes full of comb if need be.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1317719299...=1006767&device=c&campaignid=861899495&crdt=0

Can some kind soul direct me to where I can buy the aforementioned sulphur please?

First Ive heard of only using the sulphur once. I've alway assumed it didn't kill the eggs so repeated the sulphur burn 2 weeks later

First Ive heard of only using the sulphur once. I've alway assumed it didn't kill the eggs so repeated the sulphur burn 2 weeks later

Found it kills everything, been using it every year for nearly 20 years now, we stack all boxes of combs in an empty timber drying kiln, fumigate once with about half a pound of sulfur and then stack and shrink wrap boxes, never needed to treat twice.

Will the acetic acid kill the bacterial effect of the certan? If so, how long should I remove the acetic acid pot before applying certan?

Found it kills everything, been using it every year for nearly 20 years now, we stack all boxes of combs in an empty timber drying kiln, fumigate once with about half a pound of sulfur and then stack and shrink wrap boxes, never needed to treat twice.

Thanks
Useful to know

Latest posts

Back