Wax moth are rampant this year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you I'll order one, is it just a light mist or do you give it a good soaking?
I'd assume that whatever correct mix ratio you ended up with, then the Certan B401 application of 200ml per super (that's both sides of 10 frames) is what you want. I found this to be a back and forth horizontal pass, then a few vertical passes to finish on each side. If you spray at a slight top-down angle, it might even match the cell slant and reach the bottoms!

For the last couple of years, I've used a compressor at 50 psi and one of those 'cheapo' red oil spray guns as previously found the Certan clogged the spray nozzle of my pump sprayer after a few frames - most annoying with wasps and bees at mid super! Dipel may well be a purer mix and not so "gloopy " - I'll likely find out next year, as Cetan B402 shows no sign of being approved in the UK/Europe just yet.

Last edited:
....and does anyone know how long the bacterium stays active once suspended in water?
The Certan B401 instructions said once diluted use straight away and don't store it - I'm guessing the same would apply to a Dipel mix?

Oddly though, Certan is already a solution (so not a powder like Dipel) and they say you can keep an opened bottle in the fridge, but then again it does have an expiry date (2-3 years?) and that may well not be the case with Dipel?

Last edited:
The Certan instructions said once diluted use straight away and don't store it - I'm guessing the same would apply to a Dipel mix?

Oddly though, Certan is already a solution (so not a powder like Dipel) and they say you can keep an opened bottle in the fridge, but then again it does have an expiry date (2-3 years?) and that may well not be the case with Dipel?
There may be a difference in pH (acidity-alkalinity) and or osmolality between the bottle solution and the made-up solution.

I've just opened the packet for the first time, and measured out the 7.5 grammes I will need for 2 litres of water; it's not a lot of the product, so the packet will last me for a very long time.
Can I suggest that you might get the same result by soaking in water the contents of a packet of Cheesy Wotsits? the smell is much the same! ;)

Latest posts

Back