Wasps nest near to hives. Leave or remove?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you dyslexia? Kill them all. We talked about one wasp nest. Kill them all? What all?

Because thats what you said -
Kill them all..... Our woods have millions if wasp hives all around. Forest canopy is singing in summer when wasps hunter aphids from pruces and from pines.

Because thats what you said -
Kill them all..... Our woods have millions if wasp hives all around. Forest canopy is singing in summer when wasps hunter aphids from pruces and from pines.

Dyslexia
Innovative dyslexia

Last edited:
For anyone that is trying to bring up mid-summer NUC's, wasps are a pain.

I used to have a live and let live policy. However, once they start slaughtering Queen mating NUC's, and small NUC colony's en-mass, the love of the stripy blighters is soon lost.

I would be interested in knowing the demographics of the wasp lovers - haters in terms of length of time beekeeping, and colony's kept.

Apparently, there are 1000 wasps nest per square mile. Last year, they found their way into my van. They struggled to get out and over the course of a few weeks thousands died. I felt quite awful about it, despite them destroying NUC's.

In 2013, wasps were epidemic on the farm and often couldn't let the children outside to play. They were everywhere.
If they are a hazard remove them, unless you know of a wasp loving beekeeper willing to take them away and rehome them in their back yard. (not sure how many pro-wasp people here would be willing to do this! )...

My policy with wasps, if the nest is in the confines of my garden they get destroyed, for safety of the grandchildren and my wife who is wheelchair bound is paramount. If nests are outside of the garden and are not causing problems they are left alone.

One family in the next village had 12 colonies in the roof of their cottage and some in their garage last year. The wife carries an epipen and was terrified and they had to resort to a Pest Controller, for safety sake.

For anyone that is trying to bring up mid-summer NUC's, wasps are a pain.

I used to have a live and let live policy. However, once they start slaughtering Queen mating NUC's, and small NUC colony's en-mass, the love of the stripy blighters is soon lost.

I would be interested in knowing the demographics of the wasp lovers - haters in terms of length of time beekeeping, and colony's kept.

Apparently, there are 1000 wasps nest per square mile. Last year, they found their way into my van. They struggled to get out and over the course of a few weeks thousands died. I felt quite awful about it, despite them destroying NUC's.

In 2013, wasps were epidemic on the farm and often couldn't let the children outside to play. They were everywhere.
If they are a hazard remove them, unless you know of a wasp loving beekeeper willing to take them away and rehome them in their back yard. (not sure how many pro-wasp people here would be willing to do this! )...

"Apparently, there are 1000 wasps nest per square mile."
Apparantly your never more than 3 feet from a rat, another wives tale ;-)

"Apparently, there are 1000 wasps nest per square mile."
Apparantly your never more than 3 feet from a rat, another wives tale ;-)

Maybe you should ask Karol about what you call an old wives tale?

From his site http://www.waspbane.com/?page_id=356
Given that there can be as many as 1,000 wasp nests per square mile .....​
A wasp nest that's in the wrong place, for whatever reason, needs to be destroyed. It isn't a nice thing to do, but sometimes it's necessary.

The same applies to a nuisance colony of bees that cannot be removed and relocated.

Last edited:
Maybe you should ask Karol about what you call an old wives tale?

From his site http://www.waspbane.com/?page_id=356
Given that there can be as many as 1,000 wasp nests per square mile .....​
A wasp nest that's in the wrong place, for whatever reason, needs to be destroyed. It isn't a nice thing to do, but sometimes it's necessary.

The same applies to a nuisance colony of bees that cannot be removed and relocated.

Oh right, someone selling their wasp trap highlighting the problems of wasps, excellent! If youve a thousand nests every mile i think that wouldnt be a problem, that would be a plague.:icon_204-2:

that'd be a pretty sparse plague...

a density of 1000 per square mile is the same as 4 in each 100yd x 100yd square.

That means if there was less than one wasp's nest in my garden you'd call that a plague :icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Last edited:
that'd be a pretty sparse plague...

a density of 1000 per square mile is the same as 4 in each 100yd x 100yd square.

That means if there was less than one wasp in my garden you'd call that a plague :icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Er, Dur! Its 1000 nests not 1000 wasps :icon_204-2:

Time to stop feeding the troll again I reckon. Back 5 minutes and he is already stirring things up with his mocking tone.

One thing noone has mentioned is the good they do for beekeepers, people only seem to see the bad but i watched wasps last year, mainly in the evenings carrying off dead bees from off the flagstones in front of my hives, i never seen them kill any healthy bees, just sometimes they would take a dying one on the floor, thats got to be good, less chance of disease from dead bees lying about, they did a great job clearing up. :)

Last night I had several ganging up on guard bees on my nucs dragging them out and knocking them to the floor.

Therefore I have seen wasps hurting live and heathy bees.

I killed scores in 20 minutes. I did not go hunting, i just killed them at the entrances.

Time to stop feeding the troll again I reckon. Back 5 minutes and he is already stirring things up with his mocking tone.

?? Because i dont agree with killing wasps for no reason? Come on i'm trying to help the OPoster, i shouldnt have to defend myself because i'm doing that?

I appreciate the JBG likes wasps. He has a wasp avatar. He may even be wearing a yellow and black jumper.

The idea of a forum is to learn and debate where we feel fit. If I wanted to follow blindly down a single route, I would join the bbka.

I respect JPG for standing up and liking wasps in a place where so many people hate the bl**dy things.

Early in the season they do a lot of good. It is just a shame they are such a menace to bees late on.

Back