Wasps nest near to hives. Leave or remove?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are right next to the path to the hives. The numbers of wasps out and about is growing quite rapidly. They are quite small, and never settle on anything so I cant get a good look at them to see what they are. Iv'e even put a saucer with a drop of syrup near them to see if they'll settle so I can photo them, but the darlins ignore it. The nest is also quite close to my back doors ... about 3 m from both.

Not causing a problem right now, but am concerned they'll grow much bigger quickly.

A bottle of water/sugar/vinegar would catch one or two.
They may drown but you would still be able to take a photo of them.

Its early days for wasps here,
but once the adult wasps start looking for protein to feed their babys they then become a problem.
A normal sized wasp nest can wipe out a small Bee colony with ease.

Reading your posts tells me you are wanting re-assurance that its OK to get rid of them.
I would do as Finman suggested, and get rid of them before they become a problem.

Also you can guarantee that if one of those wasps annoys your neighbours then your Bee Hive will get the blame !

I would do as Finman suggested, and get rid of them before they become a problem.
Also you can guarantee that if one of those wasps annoys your neighbours then your Bee Hive will get the blame !

A very good point.

Iv'e even put a saucer with a drop of syrup near them

Try a ham sandwich....at this time of year the adults are being fed by the larvae, but the adults need to feed the larvae with meat! It's only when the nest matures and there aren't enough/any larvae to feed the adults that they come looking for sweet stuff.

More and more fascinating!!

A bottle of water/sugar/vinegar would catch one or two.
They may drown but you would still be able to take a photo of them.

Its early days for wasps here,
but once the adult wasps start looking for protein to feed their babys they then become a problem.

Reading your posts tells me you are wanting re-assurance that its OK to get rid of them.

Or if your bees bother anyone you could blame the wasps?

No more dangerous than a hive of nasty bees. I had a wasp nest 10 yards from my hives last year, they never bothered them.

It wouldn't be wise to keep a colony of nasty bees around either :rolleyes:
4m is very different to 10 yards and is within the workspace of the beekeeper

I agree with Kazz. First make sure it is Vespula Vulgaris and then dispose.

Normally I wouldn't agree with destroying wasp nests as they are very much a misunderstood and over persecuted insect that is vital to the environment but this close to the colonies and the beekeeper isn't safe.

Last edited:
Wasp I dangerous, because it does not warn when it attacks. Poison of wasp I different than bees'. I get swollen different different way than by bee's stings.

Hi Finman

A tad alarmist methinks !, wasps dont " attack " unless you " attack " them.

They can be a nuisance when they smell sweet substances etc and buzz you.

I have spent many years as a kid messing around with wasps nests, everything and anything natural. First time I was stung ever was 2 years ago when I started beekeeping, again of course my own issue as was opening a beehive.

Something to ponder...

For rodent problems we put on mouse guards
for deer we strap hives down to the ground
for woodpeckers we use chicken wire

for wasps you can reduce the entrance and combine weak hives to get stronger ones but more often than not the first reaction is to KILL BURN and DESTROY (thundunduuuuunnn dramatic tune)

Is it because a wasp nest is more easily destroyed?

by all means, this is no judgement of people who do kill of a wasp nest. Just an observation... I would probably kill it if it was in my garden. out apiary probably not.

Something to ponder...

For rodent problems we put on mouse guards
for deer we strap hives down to the ground
for woodpeckers we use chicken wire

for wasps you can reduce the entrance and combine weak hives to get stronger ones but more often than not the first reaction is to KILL BURN and DESTROY (thundunduuuuunnn dramatic tune)

Is it because a wasp nest is more easily destroyed?

by all means, this is no judgement of people who do kill of a wasp nest. Just an observation... I would probably kill it if it was in my garden. out apiary probably not.

As Russel Crowe said in Gladiator "On my signal unleash hell" :)

Sorry, didnt get any of that?

At least it is not my fault

To leave wasp nest to grow between beehives, I do not understand the big idea. World is full of wasp nests. Why such should be in same line as beehives.

Last edited:
Hi Finman

A tad alarmist methinks !, wasps dont " attack " unless you " attack " them.

They can be a nuisance when they smell sweet substances etc and buzz you..

I have seen more wasp nests than you will ever se. I know exactly what they do.

It wouldn't be wise to keep a colony of nasty bees around either :rolleyes:
4m is very different to 10 yards and is within the workspace of the beekeeper

I agree with Kazz. First make sure it is Vespula Vulgaris and then dispose.

Normally I wouldn't agree with destroying wasp nests as they are very much a misunderstood and over persecuted insect that is vital to the environment but this close to the colonies and the beekeeper isn't safe.

of course it wont be wise to keep nasty bees but lots have them until they are sorted out.
wont the beekeeper be suited up in the apiary anyway? outside of it they are no more likely to get stung by the wasps than the bees.

Try a ham sandwich....at this time of year the adults are being fed by the larvae, but the adults need to feed the larvae with meat! It's only when the nest matures and there aren't enough/any larvae to feed the adults that they come looking for sweet stuff.

More and more fascinating!!

With or without mustard?

First time I was stung ever was 2 years ago when I started beekeeping,.

I can tell what happens when I have walked in a forest and pick billberries. Then I step over a wasp near and little bit swarm is swinging around you. Just run.

Then like 2 summers ago I took firewood from wood pile. Attack. There was nest.
Then my beekeeping furniture store, I went there ... Attack. 2 wasp hives.

When they are too much, they are too much. One wasp sting ever. Yeah, you are real wasp consultant. ... Do nothing guy.

I can tell what happens when I have walked in a forest and pick billberries. Then I step over a wasp near and little bit swarm is swinging around you. Just run.

Then like 2 summers ago I took firewood from wood pile. Attack. There was nest.
Then my beekeeping furniture store, I went there ... Attack. 2 wasp hives.

When they are too much, they are too much. One wasp sting ever. Yeah, you are real wasp consultant. ... Do nothing guy.

So the times you were bothered by wasps, you were disturbing their nests, what do you expect? Ive only been stung once by a wasp too, as a child one flew in my shirt when i was cycling. People are too quick to kill wildlife without thinking about whether its actually a problem. I'm guessing if bumble bees tried to take honey theyd be persecuted too? Each to their own i guess but its worth trying to educate people on the good wasps do rather than just kill them all & we'll all be safe.

So the times you were bothered by wasps, you were disturbing their nests, what do you expect? Ive only been stung once by a wasp too, as a child one flew in my shirt when i was cycling. People are too quick to kill wildlife without thinking about whether its actually a problem. I'm guessing if bumble bees tried to take honey theyd be persecuted too? Each to their own i guess but its worth trying to educate people on the good wasps do rather than just kill them all & we'll all be safe.

Oh dear..... IT seems that you have not much wasps in UK.

Nice to get advices from Person who has not even meet the bug. . Hah hah and hah.

.what do you expect!!!! . 10/10 scores for that.

Kill them all..... Our woods have millions if wasp hives all around. Forest canopy is singing in summer when wasps hunter aphids from spruces and from pines.

Dont teach duck to swim.

Last edited:

The nest is 4m from the hive. Not much of a distance for hive manipulations. You don't think they will be disturbed? It is a non argument. Totally unsafe and unpractical to keep a wasp nest next to hives.

Last edited:
Oh dear..... IT seems that you have not much wasp in UK.

Nice to get advices from Person who has not even meet the bug. . Hah hah and hah.

.what do you expect!!!! Hah hah. 10/10 scores.

Kill them all..... Our woods have millions if wasp hives all around. Forest canopy is singing in summer when wasps hunter aphids from pruces and from pines.

So because you have lots of wasps youre telling everyone they should kill them all? The op's nest could be the only one for miles for all we know. Great advice as usual finman.

So because you have lots of wasps youre telling everyone they should kill them all? The op's nest could be the only one for miles for all we know. Great advice as usual finman.

Have you dyslexia? Kill them all. We talked about one wasp nest. Kill them all? What all?

As already said, wasps area an asset to the UK, they take out tonnes of flying insects to feed the new larvae.

If i had a nest nearby i would only nail it when the wasps become nuisance feeders which is at the tail end the nests life.

Back