Warré in Switzerland

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Warres and seeking advice about grafting frames into a different frame size ... you only have to look at the photos at Post #9 from Rolande to see how well that works !

Yes, you're right, it works perfectly well. There are of course tricks to make it work well which is why I used my own practical experience in the hope of making the op's progress smoother.

Its really simple stuff, no different to Manley's description of tieing bs into dadant frames (although those of us who've tried that with modern frames know that it can't be done without slightly shortening the bs topbar - not sure why, the only clear explanation being that the dadant sidebars manley was using were thinner than the current ones).

Edit:

Its a simple transitory step using resources at hand. A healthy colony will expand into a new warre box quickly which then leaves the miniplus frames and additional comb built on the sides free for removal.

Last edited:
I rather think you may be a little prejudiced ...
:unsure: We've Nationals. a WBC and a top bar in school.

I rather feel that the first five posts were actually constructive
Pass! :LOL:

Perception as well as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Indeed! Peoples' perception that Warré hives are intrinsically difficult to manage.
They weren't called the Peoples' Hive for nothing. :D
Why would having different hives from anyone else be a problem?
And, it's not as if he is going to be grafting frames on a yearly basis, this is a one off to get things started.
We did a chop and crop in the first year to get the bees from a national nuc into the Warré.
It's messy, but it's not exactly difficult. :)

From my emoji of my beeshed designed and built last year for 8 nationals inside but I only had 6 available so I used 2 Warres that I have used for six years. The shed is based on similar ones I have seen in the Alps.
That's an excellent bit of craft there, especially the patternings! Is there a source I can tap to maybe copy some plans to build my own eventually? It has long been a yearning of mine to have a bee-hut and I have searched far and wide in Switzerland to maybe buy a traditional one...however they seem to be as coveted as the gold teeth in the vaults.
If anyone has any good sources for a DIY (or a quality prefab), please share!

With regards to the Warré inside, were there any inherent problems in using them alongside the Nationals?

The Warre has a smaller footprint and the connecting piece from the hive to the outside landing board had to be made from painted insulation foam which I am used to working with as I have made two national hives from insulation foam. Also the legs had to be taken off which was not a problem as they would have needed replacement after 6 years of Welsh wet weather if they were to be used again outside. If you want the plan and how I constructed my shed send a PM and I will see what I can dig up.

Indeed! Peoples' perception that Warré hives are intrinsically difficult to manage.
And, it's not as if he is going to be grafting frames on a yearly basis, this is a one off to get things started.
We did a chop and crop in the first year to get the bees from a national nuc into the Warré.
Perhaps you are politically correct. The ability to look at things differently, to cultivate and relearn, to consider issues and problems in new ways rather than using the old learnt denunciative ones is a rare gift.

Well you won't get any argument from me on any of that but my point, really, was that on a public forum you can expect to have different views put forward and suggesting that these were in any way dismissive was not correct.

suggesting that these were in any way dismissive was not correct.
I was going to let it go, but that is just cobblers! :D

Post 2
I think it’s a great plan, I cannot imagine how you could make life more difficult for yourself, I hope it’s a retirement plan because you want to be kept busy :confused:
Just a small point, if you hope to use local bees and no one else is using Warre, how’s that going to work ?

Post 3
Just order a package of bees and tip them in. In spring of course. Assuming there is a package supplier that will deliver to your area.
Or make life easy for yourself by selling the Warre hives online and buying framed hives.

Post 4
A “mentor” giving Warré hives away should ring warm bells, no?
Maybe pass them on in a similar fashion?
They might end up in Drew’s shop in Conwy

Post 5
Use the same hives as the locals use.
Use the Warrés to warm your chalet

I've emphasised the 'non dismissive' parts for you! :cool: :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Post 2

Post 3

Post 4

Post 5

My post appears to be factual, rather than dismissive.

What I am dismissive of is hyper-sensitive internet snowflakes, but that's a separate issue.

Post 2

Post 3

Post 4

Post 5

The OP appears happy with his replies.

Outrage on behalf of others is silly. On behalf of others who have made no utterance when they could is either telepathy or snowflakery.

Post 2

Post 3

Post 4

Post 5

Post 2

Post 3

Post 4

Post 5

Post 2

Post 3

Post 4

Post 5

For me this was not meant to be offensive there are many different types of hives around the world, some we like others we realise someone had too much time on their hands like the national 😊

The two points I made are accurate ones, it does require more work and introducing bees will be present problems, this is an open and genuinely helpful site, by virtue of all of us being beekeeper we all need a sense of humour, your predicament was low hanging fruit 😊

Try to take the comments in the spirit they have been given or you will just get upset, not many of us will suffer for the words we have used, you will suffer in silence.

If you can possibly get a local swarm, use that.

If you buy bees (package, nucleus, etc) the queen will be bred to lay contiuously. Good for honey - bad for mites (no brood breaks).

I use Warres and TBHs. They work well with swarms. If you buy bees, you may as well use normal hives, and treat with chemicals.

If you can possibly get a local swarm, use that.

If you buy bees (package, nucleus, etc) the queen will be bred to lay contiuously. Good for honey - bad for mites (no brood breaks).
How on earth are bees bred to lay continuously. Brood breaks are caused by environmental influences/nectar pollen sources. Can you give an example of a breeding program that breeds for continuous laying by the Queens.

My post appears to be factual, rather than dismissive.
"Or make life easy for yourself by selling the Warre hives online and buying framed hives."
Maybe our definitions of dismissive differ slightly then? :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

What I am dismissive of is hyper-sensitive internet snowflakes, but that's a separate issue.
Descending into abuse doesn't help, I've actually found the whole thing quite entertaining, hence all the emojis! :D

Yes isn’t it
It seems quite a popular thing to do
Not by me, have thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Just trying to correct inaccuracies and gross generalisations even if they are apparently tongue in cheek. ;) Still smiling. :)

"Or make life easy for yourself by selling the Warre hives online and buying framed hives."
Maybe our definitions of dismissive differ slightly then? :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Descending into abuse doesn't help, I've actually found the whole thing quite entertaining, hence all the emojis! :D

Methinks you protest too much

Many of us conventional type beekeepers have over the years had bees in many unconventional hives. I’ve had them in long hives, logs top bar no bars skeps and even a plant pot! I’ve also seen beeks abroad keeping bees in all sorts of non conventional type beetainers. The fact that some of the mystical enthusing qualities of some unconventional boxes are pulled up or laughed at is often based on experience😉 I remember not that long ago some recent top bar beekeepering converts suggesting bees in poly hives would die of fumes, or that somehow TBH are more natural.😂

Last edited:
Back