Warm way or cold way?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warm way or cold way?

• Warm way

Votes: 60 35.5%
  • Cold way

Votes: 77 45.6%
  • No preference

Votes: 32 18.9%

• Total voters
I believe TBH enthusiasts often have the bees building 45 degrees to the alignment of the top bars ?

John Wilkinson

Maybe in a Warre hive but most other TBH users will correct misaligned combs as soon as possible.
bee-smillie

I prefer to inspect warm way, that is using the big oak tree to shield me from the prevailing wind. As for the bees, all of mine are on OMFs and so they probably don't care! But, for what its worth mine are 'cold' to allow the hive a quicker response to robbing and wasp attack (frame ends exposed to the entrance, well that's my theory anyway). R

I prefer the warm way national hive manipulate from the back removed frames laid ether side as is the QE supers and roof, when replacing supers your hands are away from the front of the hive where the bees congregate.

John bee-smilliebee-smillie

Dangerous to mix both topics as beekeepers cannot generally agree on either; doing so simply spirals into confusion with little or no productive debate ;)

Beekeepers do not agree on anything full stop.

Mmm what car shall i buy and what colour shall i paint the kitchen ??

Historically there were valid arguments for which way to line up on a solid floor.

Or so the proponents would have you believe...LOL

With OMF floors it is somewhat blurred: or is that completely blurred?

These days it seems to be not worth discussing. some hives are x way regardless. Langstroth and Smith and Dadant for instance. Nats can be on a turntable for the odds it makes...LOL

PH

cold way.. cos thats how they line themselves up in most skeps/ ferral setups that i've seen.. though i think probably the first comb produced is probably a big effect on this.. may be because then the comb looks smaller to any thieving eye looking in which isn't so much of an issue in a hive in its vulnerable initail stage.. or it may just be luck that the roof of whatever they found was easier to build that way

hi mandabow, not sure thats true, I have seen studies that have dispelled the cold/warm preference theory as well as the idea that bees align to points of the compass - in reality this subject is really around practical frame removal for me as the bees dont care

I use warm way for the winter and cold way for the summer (I changed them around in October)!
Sorry to mess up the poll!
Louise

hi mandabow, not sure thats true, I have seen studies that have dispelled the cold/warm preference theory as well as the idea that bees align to points of the compass - in reality this subject is really around practical frame removal for me as the bees dont care

Sorry didnt mean to sound like i thought was gospel

I did say that i've seen... i have little/no reading up on this kinda thing (just starting to vaguely making up for it now).

Helped out a beekeeper a lot when i was young (free childcare for my mum, free labour for him) and most seemed to be "the cold way" having said that a fair few wern't.

I got beehaus so i don't have much choice really. must admit if i did Louise's suggestion appeals.

Latest posts

Back