Underfloor Entrance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipm

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I've been making up some of the JBM type underfloor entrances this week. Just wondering if it would be worth modifying the back to take the oxalic sublimator.
What do others do?

I sublimate through the underfloor entrance # .. The vapour penetrates the hive to judge by the wisps when I open the CB a little to check..
# mine have long overhangs so space..

I make my own underfloor entrances, they are OMF but the mesh is much reduced to a central area nine-ten inches with roughly four inches of wooden floor around it. I design my floors with two planks front and rear, underneath the floor, they come in handy when strapping the hive. The first incorporates the porch and a rail either side runs to the one at the rear. My inspection trays are 12"x13" and are supported on the rails and the rear plank with the front end butted against the back of the porch. The back of the trays could have a piece of three inch timber fitted which would seal the unit but I find it easy enough to stuff a piece of foam in.

I've been making up some of the JBM type underfloor entrances this week. Just wondering if it would be worth modifying the back to take the oxalic sublimator.
What do others do?

Just make a metal or wooden tray to slip in where the inspection tray sits - I put the sublimator on that and seal the back with a wad of furniture foam same for the entrance

T's have copied them and knocking them out at £45 each.
They're not the only ones

Last edited:
I used decking... the mesh slides into one of the grooves half an inch down I've then stuck offcut of paynes poly into the gap which can be removed to vape on top of the mesh
Certainly a great design of floor...no trouble moving over to using them

does the oxalic rot the open mesh floor? I was thinking along the lines of an opening flap like the ones on a snelgrove board allowing me to put the sublimator above the mesh.

does the oxalic rot the open mesh floor? I was thinking along the lines of an opening flap like the ones on a snelgrove board allowing me to put the sublimator above the mesh.

It might in the end though mine are ok after maybe 15 sublimations. Easy enough to replace or you could put in stainless

interesting topic this as ive been wondering about using a sublimator, what does Jenks think ?

Dave

Yes they are a good design and pretty easy to make,Might even knock some up for the TBKA auction.

Yes I made 10 of them last year and ive been very pleased with them.
I did wonder about using a sublimation gun.
Might give it a try.

Dave

Seeing as the weather was warm today I changed the old floors with the new ones I'd made glad to see the hives had brood.I made a removable piece for vaping at the back above the mesh.

T's have copied them and knocking them out at £45 each.

I was walking past the Thornes stand at the convention today when I was taken aside and given a demonstration of their new product - the adapta stand, - the standard OMF floor which then slides out and can be replaced by a solid floor or...... 'your floor' (his words) it was nice to be acknowledged as the person who helped the floor's popularity. Chuffed with that as they didn't have to go to the trouble. (they had noticed the conversations around the floor on this forum which is why it was decided they'd produce it.)

What do others do?

I had underfloor entrances with a removable section at the rear for vaping, I found that vaping under the mesh caused the vapour to crystallise on the mesh.

I found that vaping under the mesh caused the vapour to crystallise on the mesh.

Indeed it does. So you add a little more ......ahem....Apibioxal. It's not critical though. You only have to have a see through crown board to see that enough of the vapour easily gets up to the top of the hive. If you hear the bees fan vigorously they've got enough.

Yes I've made up some floors with a removable section in the back .All I nedd to do now is make up a sublimator.

Back