Treatment for stings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frenchie

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
I react very badly to being stung, some dizziness and nausea. I swell up like a balloon within one hour. Dizziness and nausea lasts about 4 hours and swelling about 48hrs. I've been checked out by a doctor and told its because I'am too sensitive. I have been prescribed 10mg Laratadine tablets plus 4 x Prednisolone tablets. I believe the Laratadine are a form of anti histamamine and the Prednisolone make them work faster.I got stung last Friday, twice on the face and the reaction was quite violent even though I had taken all the tablets within minutes. Just wondered if other people had similar reactions and what they take. Any advice will be most welcome.

After the inital pain I would get some itchiness the next day.
I have absolutely no advice I can give you need to stick to your doctors advice would be my 2p.

Any advice will be most welcome.
I though Laratadine was an H2 antagonist but I may be wrong. Prednisalone is a steroid.
If you are getting severe reactions, it may be time to consider getting out of beekeeping. You might also need an epi-pen

I react but not as bad as that, one sting on the wrist and overnight most of my forearm and hand will swell up, and it lasts a further 24-48 hrs, with numbness and on and off itching.

I react but not as bad as that, one sting on the wrist and overnight most of my forearm and hand will swell up, and it lasts a further 24-48 hrs, with numbness and on and off itching.

I was like that for 25 years, then suddenly, one day, all the reactions stopped, now I barely get anything after five minutes.
E

I react very badly to being stung, some dizziness and nausea. I swell up like a balloon within one hour. Dizziness and nausea lasts about 4 hours and swelling about 48hrs. I've been checked out by a doctor and told its because I'am too sensitive. I have been prescribed 10mg Laratadine tablets plus 4 x Prednisolone tablets. I believe the Laratadine are a form of anti histamamine and the Prednisolone make them work faster.I got stung last Friday, twice on the face and the reaction was quite violent even though I had taken all the tablets within minutes. Just wondered if other people had similar reactions and what they take. Any advice will be most welcome.

It depends where on the body, so far I've been stung, head, temple, forehead ,wrist, finger, inner thigh, and foot.

A single sting, depending upon location, causes me slight swelling. Recent sting to middle finger, cause slight swelling to finger, and hand.

inner thigh caused itching.

Anywhere on my head/temple, caused eye closure, but oddly forehead cause no reaction.

Certainly not the reaction you are suffering.

You are too sensitive.... umm...dizziness and nausea, that sounds like something different, but I'm no doctor.

I have been down this road before ,
Having kept bees for 4-5 years and had about 12 stings .
Sting number 8 was the worst as I had to go to hospital and have a cunula to pump me full of liquid piriton etc.
Stings 1 to 7 were mild to heavy swelling (not in any order) 8 was hospital after looking like the elephant man, sweating/swelling like mad.

Now I take piriton before going in hives each time.
Have been stung 4 times since with mild local swelling , but who knows for sure the next sting I could be back to hospital...

There are just so many variables, like time of year , were you hot at the time (Blood pressure) are you on medication (pain killers), the list goes on and no-one has the sure shot answer.

A good suite , decent boots, better tempered bees , pick the right time to inspect hives ! i,e not thundery or blustery. Talk nicely to the bees , tell them you love them and to play nicely, it all helps .
Hope this helps, best of luck and don,t give up.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a better suite.
I had about eight very angry bees in my veil the other day, squished 3, one crawling over my eyelid......very uncomfortable indeed, two stung me on the head and I managed to release a few without further drama !
Have been in the market since for a better beesuit!!!

I thought I had developed immunity until a sting on the back of my hand last week. Hurt a lot and my hand started to swell. Discovered that I had been injected just over a vein....

Thanks for replies. Can't give up I'am afraid, I'am addicted. I have a very good suit, but didn't have it on when I last got stung. Was watching bees from, what I thought was a safe distance, as I had done numerous times before. Had been out for a run so may be they didn't like sweaty odour, will be more careful in future. Just wondered if anyone suffered similar reactions and had different medication that worked better. As we now live in France I may have a word with my new doctor.

I always *try* now to wear my suit, when observing the bees!

I know it's difficult. This is what I do with my bees, I know others on the forum here, walk around hives in shorts etc

But I now, always try and put my jacket and veil on, when going to visit, just if I'm observing.

I got stung last Friday, twice on the face

How did you get stung on the face?

If you have this sort of reaction you need to ensure you get stung a lot less.
Double glove maybe, jumper under your suit and always keep your head covered when going near the bees.
Although wearing thinner gloves allows you to feel when you've got a bee between your thumb and the hive tool and you can let it go before you get stung.

Don't un-kit until you've been checked you're bee free and wait til you're well away from the bees.

And have someone with you who knows the location of the hives and has a working, charged mobile phone with them and knows the correct procedure to do should you get stung badly.

Also avoid perfumes or shampoos that might set the bees off being interested in you, banana milkshake and beer is a no no before inspection as are pear drops.
Wash your suit in non-scented washing powder and don't condition it either.

You have just got to be more careful, make sure there are no holes in your suit and it is done up correctly. The swelling and itchiness is the norm but never had the other symptoms.

I like the idea of a better suite.
I had about eight very angry bees in my veil the other day, squished 3, one crawling over my eyelid......very uncomfortable indeed, two stung me on the head and I managed to release a few without further drama !
Have been in the market since for a better beesuit!!!

I had that a few times. bought a full suit since. My bees are all over the place and they tend to crawl up my legs. then sit in in the folds of the beesuit. by moving they sooner or later find an entrance point and crawl inside. a £29 full suit solved the problem.

I though Laratadine was an H2 antagonist but I may be wrong. Prednisalone is a steroid.
If you are getting severe reactions, it may be time to consider getting out of beekeeping. You might also need an epi-pen

Epipen is adrenaline injection, used under prescription only (In the UK) if the anafalaxis from a bee sting caused the sufferer to go into shock.. ie massive sudden lowering of blood pressure... usually one injection followed by another in 5 minutes.. gives time for paramedics to arrive and administer intravenous antihistamine and stablise the patient for transfer to hospital A&E

Worrying thing is that there are beekeepers out there that have got hold of Eppipens and are under the misconception that they are a cure all for beestings

Yeghes da

More worrying than that is that illegal sources of epipens may very well be supplying falsified medicines with no guarantee of the quality of the product giving a totally false and potentially fatal sense of security.

There are good medical reasons why adrenaline is a prescription only product.

i have now discovered Prednisolone (5mg tablets) taken as soon as i am stung very nearly stops all symptons
i used to swell like a mitchelin man and itch and scratch for a week
i got stung 2 weeks ago and didnt take the tablet until i got home by which time it was too late. it reduced the syptoms a bit but not much. Had to take more the next day together with prescription antihistamines (fexofenamine i think they are called)

Latest posts

Back