Transporting bees - advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just thought it was the common sense thing to do and considering the status, I wouldn't want to introduce anything. The move is possible with all the tips above and having the hives secured, straps as per o90o and gaffer tape, it also helps if they can be enclosed in a net curtain (helps with confidence :))
The easiest and most responsible way would be a bee free move and then set up that perfect apiary as you've pictured it.

Additional check

Look under OMF to see no stowaways who like nothing better in a nice warm car to rejuvenate and make your acquaintance .

Keep Windows fraction down to create cross ventilation, good airflow, and do heed the veil advice. I never did but... Sure will in future

Thanks for all the useful advice. I'll make use of your wise words.

As usual, if you poke your head above the parapet, people will try to shoot it off. I HAVE talked to the local association. I AM moving them to an area that already has varroa and even decided not to rent a house in a known varroa free glen. I HAVE asked about the possibility of selling the colonies and buying new local bees, but was advised that there was little likelihood of there being colonies for sale next year. I was told by LOCAL beekeepers that the best move was to bring up my bees.

Once again, thanks for all the useful help that comes from Beekeeping Forum.

:iagree: Loads of advice on the topic I asked about. Driving a van down to Yorkshire tomorrow for the move back on Sunday. I'll tell you all how it goes.

:iagree: Loads of advice on the topic I asked about. Driving a van down to Yorkshire tomorrow for the move back on Sunday. I'll tell you all how it goes.

Good luck, the net curtain advice is good as Swarm said, for confidence.

Just delivered the bees to their new home. I didn't have enough straps so I went a bit old school and used 2" metal repair strips screwed to hold boxes together. I then gaffer taped the joins. The crown board I held on with 1" right angle brackets. Hives sat on a pallet and then strapped to the van to stop them moving.

End result was no escapees after a 5 hour trip.

Thanks for all your ideas.
:thanks::thanks:

Latest posts

Back