Transporting bees - advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kermit

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have three colonies, in plywood nationals (brood and a half), that need to be moved from North Yorkshire to Argyll. I am going to move them this weekend in a transit van. I have never moved colonies long distances before. What advice do people have? I was going to strap the boxes together and then lash them in the van. Are travelling screens needed at this time of year?

I would suggest that you don't NEED travelling screens but I would put them on a pallet so that the air can flow underneath through the OMF. I would also keep a water spray handy. If they do start to overheat for any reason you can spray water up through the OMF.
The most important thing is for you to keep a veil handy. If someone crashes in to you you don't want to be trapped in your van with a million bees and no protection!
E

Gaffa tape for the joining edges and, and don't forget to ratchet strap in both directions (90 degrees).

I would do all of the above... but would use travel screens... put a carpet tile over the screen and then you can monitor them.... big colonies can produce enough heat to give a problem... especially inside a vehicle!

Good luck with the travels...

Yeghes da

I have moved bees a few times not the distance you have are planning on moving them, but a 2½ hour drive, all I would say is to make sure that they don't move around in the back of the van, and that they are secured in both ways (front to back and left to right). They are going to be heavy but no heavier than bringing them back from OSR or Heather. As someone mentioned put them on a pallet as this will aid air circulation.

If I had to move bees again...I would definitely use a trailer...either closed or open. I wouldn't have them in the car. Last time we had quite a few escape and they were buzzing around inside and crawling all over us. I really don't know how we didn't get stung! The bees were great and have always been very calm. We didn't think about taking veils with us...but I wouldn't do it again. Afterwards we realised how stupid having bees in the car with us.....if there had been an accident...well it doesn't bear thinking about. Our hive was taped and ratcheted and had OMF and a screen on top. The entrance had sponge and tape....still a hundred or so escaped.....so I would use a trailer next time. Our journey was about 4 hours long.

Do you know if Varroa is established in the region of Argyll you are moving the bees to? The most recently available maps show some of Argyll may be uninfested. If the mite isn't already there then don't inflict your Varroa on the locals who may be working hard to try and keep their stocks clean.

If you're not sure, ask a Q on the Scottish Beekeepers Association forum. They're a friendly bunch and will try and help.

For starters perhaps try the Kintyre and Mid-Argyll BKA, or perhaps Oban and District (via the contacts on this page).

You may have worked this out all already, in which case I'll thank you on behalf of my friends who are struggling to keep Varroa out of their apiaries.

And finally, if you have to move them now I'd not risk doing so without travel screens ... and a very good substitute is a square of insect-proof netting (see eBay perhaps) clamped over the top of the hive with an eke and the ratchet straps. No need for an additional thing to store unnecessarily. I moved lots of colonies to a Varroa-riddled part of Scotland like this in a Transit earlier this year.

Drive safely ...

All the above, especially two ratchet straps. Gaffer tape joins and over the entrance block. Make sure frames are running fore and aft, so they do not swing as you brake. Make sure you have a fine mist spray. Travel screens too (you can always cover them over)

:iagree:
ALSO
Do you know if Varroa is established in the region of Argyll you are moving the bees to? The most recently available maps show some of Argyll may be uninfested. If the mite isn't already there then don't inflict your Varroa on the locals who may be working hard to try and keep their stocks clean.

This is really important.

Gaffa tape for the joining edges and, and don't forget to ratchet strap in both directions (90 degrees).

Better to have 2 straps parallel as at 90 degrees can twist

BTW snow forecast up north this weekend!

Sell them off and buy local bees? Just an idea.

Most have concentrated on the transport aspect of bees,,,, and all of that is very relavent and good advice.

I must agree with SWARM that moving bees out of your local area is against all the measures of biosecurity that any respectable beekeeper would want in place.

Last season had a clown bring bees from South Dartmoor to the Upper Tamar Valley that he must have suspected had EFB as he placed them in his isolation apiary.... 50 miles as the bee flies from their infected home![colonies destroyed by inspectorate)

So :winner1st: SWARM for bringing this to the discussion

Mytten da

If you're not sure, ask a Q on the Scottish Beekeepers Association forum. They're a friendly bunch and will try and help.

For starters perhaps try the Kintyre and Mid-Argyll BKA, or perhaps Oban and District (via the contacts on this page).

You may have worked this out all already, in which case I'll thank you on behalf of my friends who are struggling to keep Varroa out of their apiaries.

And finally, if you have to move them now I'd not risk doing so without travel screens ... and a very good substitute is a square of insect-proof netting (see eBay perhaps) clamped over the top of the hive with an eke and the ratchet straps. No need for an additional thing to store unnecessarily. I moved lots of colonies to a Varroa-riddled part of Scotland like this in a Transit earlier this year.

Drive safely ...

Agree & I'd ratchet in parallel so that they can't twist

Well, I employ both belt and braces! Two in parallel one way and a third at right angles. Boxes can flex and straps can loosen. Only need one box to slide or twist about 25mm and bees can leak!

Info regarding varroa status at new place is more than important - it is imperative.

Info regarding varroa status at new place is more than important - it is imperative.

Argyll is also an area that is free of EFB. we have a voluntary code of conduct in Scotland as part of our EFB control strategy than means no bees on combs (eg. nucs) from the infected part of Scotland can be moved into the EFB free area. Thus we would not do this move even from far closer to the destination. So far as I am aware no-one up here has knowingly broken this agreement so far. These bees are from Yorkshire, where EFB happens, so for this reason alone I am sure there will be a lot of amateur beekeepers quite anxious about it.

I don't use the word 'amateur' as a divisive term, its just that Argyll is not a commercial bee area at all due to its climate.

Its not illegal, so if the beekeeper insists on doing the move a full inspection by the local inspectorate at origin would be the least that should be done, followed by a notification to the Scottish inspectorate either via the beekeeper or internal inspectorate channels, including the precise location they are destined for.

Ditto the varroa free status of parts of that area. They will get it soon enough anyway by some vector, but they would probably prefer not to get it this way......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back