Transferring from a Nuc to a Hive in the same apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmesmeric

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi Guys.

I have a split in a nuc that has requeened successfully :)

Its building out nicely and I would like to move them into a full size hive. However the hive is around 4 meters away, and won't fit in the same position as the nuc.

Is there any way I can achieve this without moving them miles away which isn't really feasible?

Thanks for your help,

Felix

Could I move the nuc to the position of the hive in the middle of the night and stick grass in the entrance for a couple of days forcing them to reorientate?

Last edited:
Move the nuc a metre towards the hive every three days or so?
Thanks :) I did think this, but the issue is I have 3 nucs sat on a table, so I think there is potential for confusion if I move the nucs a meter. maybe not though? what do you think of blocking the nuc entrance idea?

It can work, but why chance it, especially with this weather. You only have to move the one nuc, doubt there would be too much confusion. Move it directly back from the current position for a day or two first then start moving it towars the new spot, three feet a day will work fine

It can work, but why chance it, especially with this weather. You only have to move the one nuc, doubt there would be too much confusion. Move it directly back from the current position for a day or two first then start moving it towars the new spot, three feet a day will work fine
Thanks for the advice. I physically can't move the nucs backwards they are at the end of the garden. I guess just moving it to the side or a couple of ft forward?

Also re. blocking the entrance, why is it a risk. unreliable?

Thanks for your help.

Also re. blocking the entrance, why is it a risk. unreliable?
doesn't always work, especially if there are still hives in the near proximity of the original position, sometimes the bees will get out in double quick time and not reorientate - they will simply go back to the original stand then beg their way into the other nucs
Do you really want to be plugging up the entrance for three days or so in this current hot spell?

doesn't always work, especially if there are still hives in the near proximity of the original position, sometimes the bees will get out in double quick time and not reorientate - they will simply go back to the original stand then beg their way into the other nucs
Do you really want to be plugging up the entrance for three days or so in this current hot spell?
Why not plug it, for bee health reasons or missing out on nectar flow? also if I could plug it for 3 days with a mesh, would it be more likely to work?

moving the nucs 3ft at a time will be tricky as I can't move backwards. so will have to edge forwards then curve round the sides of three other hives. I couldn't have put these nucs in a worse spot! haha.

I can gradually do it, I was just weighing up options. in fact I have two nucs to move so they will be like snakes gradually moving through the apiary :)

Don't even consider closing them in for three days. I've seen an overnight meltdown with a nuc entrance set to vent.

Don't even consider closing them in for three days. I've seen an overnight meltdown with a nuc entrance set to vent.
Understood Swarm. I won't be doing that then. When I do splits into nucs I stick grass on the entrance, is that also risky in this hot weather?

Latest posts

Back