Town & Country?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lovely thread :) Those, who moving from town should remember "When in Roma, do as romans doing".With one exception - don't blow frogs with a straw. Just don't.

The point being that if you weren't born somewhere you shouldn't have a say in its future?

So if you moved to the country, what would you find inacceptable?

• No white lines down the roads?
  • Combineing after 21:00?
  • lack of streetlights?
  • Animals being driven past your house?
  • Muck left on the road?
  • Battered Pre 1980 defenders parked outside your house?
  • The little old lady over the road & Village drunk both keeping shotguns at home?
  • Dead game birds hung outside the pub entrance while 10 or more "Jollie Fellows" in tweed & wellies hog the bar?

So if you moved to the country, what would you find inacceptable?

• No white lines down the roads?
  • Combineing after 21:00?
  • lack of streetlights?
  • Animals being driven past your house?
  • Muck left on the road?
  • Battered Pre 1980 defenders parked outside your house?
  • The little old lady over the road & Village drunk both keeping shotguns at home?
  • Dead game birds hung outside the pub entrance while 10 or more "Jollie Fellows" in tweed & wellies hog the bar?

The Highways Authority would probably argue the mud left on the road. Get a load of crap on the road and you are expected to clean it up.

The Highways Authority would probably argue the mud left on the road. Get a load of crap on the road and you are expected to clean it up.

You haven't been to this part of West Devon then. Around here if you complain about the mud on the road highways come out and erect a slippery road sign and more mud is dumped, and then the farmer in question steals the sign for later use. You can't complain about c**p on the road if it comes directly from the animal, that's allowed!

A VERY LATE. PS. We used to run a 10.000 Bird free range unit here and when the s**t was going off site we had folks on the road with brooms.
Our neighbour is DUMPING ie no speading, A.D. waste and waste from the local slaughter house on his ground 200 mts from our borehole and 50 mts from a neighbour's borehole and when we get the Environment agency involved "He's complying with his license".

Last edited:
That is not the case where i have been today, i think some of the farmers deliberately leave the roads messed up to slow inconsiderate speeding drivers down, one farmer where i frequent has even started putting signs up saying Drive Slow Pheasant and Chickens, but you still see them splattered on the road, how drivers can not see them is beyond me .

I once came home from a trip to Norfolk with twenty in my boot; all foraged off the road
Pheasant not chickens

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Get a load of crap on the road and you are expected to clean it up.

Really??

Never seen any horse riders popping back with shovel & bucket? :smilielol5::smilielol5:

Drive Slow Pheasant and Chickens, but you still see them splattered on the road, how drivers can not see them is beyond me .
Pheasants are suicidal.
You try dodging the little buggers; as they move to the left you go right and then they insist on changing direction and fly straight into your radiator grill/under your tyres/hit your windscreen.
Taste good though...fresh road kill mmmmm :)
I leave those that have pancaked under the wheels.

Pheasants are suicidal.
You try dodging the little buggers; as they move to the left you go right and then they insist on changing direction and fly straight into your radiator grill/under your tyres/hit your windscreen.
Taste good though...fresh road kill mmmmm :)
I leave those that have pancaked under the wheels.
You maybe driving too Fast on them roads if that is the case, i can understand on a 60mph single carriageway B roads with a big white broken line down the middle but not on a country lane or rural road.
For the record i think Pheasant tastes like dog poop smell's, if you want to splat something to eat go for Grey partridge or woodcock, or push the boat out in your 4x4 and splat a young muntjack.;)

You maybe driving too Fast on them roads if that is the case, i can understand on a 60mph single carriageway B roads with a big white broken line down the middle but not on a country lane or rural road.
For the record i think Pheasant tastes like dog poop smell's, if you want to splat something to eat go for Grey partridge or woodcock, or push the boat out in your 4x4 and splat a young muntjack.;)

Single track, no more than 15-20mph at max and they still commit suicide.
Keepers fault really, they are lazy and feed them at the roadside. I do my best to avoid them. There's a limit to how many pheasant you want to eat, but waste not ......
Whilst cooking, a pheasant may smell very "gamey", but when tasted is delicious.
My 4x4 is a pick up truck BTW.

For the record i think Pheasant tastes like dog poop smell's, if you want to splat something to eat go for Grey partridge or woodcock,

I wouldn't say dog poo, but a highly overrated bird - dry, lacking in flavour (unless cooked with plenty of seasoning in a stew) and usually stringy, woodpigeon beats it hand down every time. Partridge, lovely, grouse isn't bad either - but woodcock........ heaven on a plate

Pheasant can be quite good but not often. The best one we have had had been clipped by another car. It was still fluttering around, so we stopped and popped it the back of the van and dispatched it. 3 days in the shed (cold weather) then the missus plucked, gutted and cooked it. It was very nice.

That is not the case where i have been today, i think some of the farmers deliberately leave the roads messed up to slow inconsiderate speeding drivers down, one farmer where i frequent has even started putting signs up saying Drive Slow Pheasant and Chickens, but you still see them splattered on the road, how drivers can not see them is beyond me .

A lot of people round where I live see pheasants as no different from other pests like sea gulls or squirrels and are treated as such (not even picked up) it's wrong but people don't see them as someone's income :(

As for mud on the road and being cleaned up!:icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

The Law

The Highways Act 1980 makes it an offence to deposit mud and other things onto the Highway (S148). In addition the Act provides that if a person without lawful authority or excuse, deposits anything whatsoever on a highway in consequence of which a user of the highway is injured or endangered, then he is guilty of an offence (S161). Therefore if a farmer deposits mud on the highway he runs the risk of committing a criminal offence and he may face prosecution and a fine.

The Law

The Highways Act 1980 makes it an offence to deposit mud and other things onto the Highway (S148). In addition the Act provides that if a person without lawful authority or excuse, deposits anything whatsoever on a highway in consequence of which a user of the highway is injured or endangered, then he is guilty of an offence (S161). Therefore if a farmer deposits mud on the highway he runs the risk of committing a criminal offence and he may face prosecution and a fine.

Completely agree any spill from our buildings sites are cleared off as soon as it happens.I suppose farmers can't carry buckets of water around with them and clean their wheels every time they leave a field :)

What the law says, they must do everything possible to stop mud entering the roads, some things are possible and some are not.
A water trough and a brush at the farm gate would be possible.
The Road Traffic Act 1988 applies to everyone using a public highway

What the law says, they must do everything possible to stop mud entering the roads, some things are possible and some are not.
The Road Traffic Act 1988 applies to everyone using a public
highway

That would be just about impossible to do , have you seen the size of the modern tractors of today, the farmers would need a jet spray at every gate, also a lot of farmers of today use contractors to work the land who simply do not have time to mess about cleaning tyres especially when they are emptying the slurry pit, they can be in and out of a field over thirty times a day.

I wouldn't say dog poo, but a highly overrated bird - dry, lacking in flavour (unless cooked with plenty of seasoning in a stew) and usually stringy, woodpigeon beats it hand down every time. Partridge, lovely, grouse isn't bad either - but woodcock........ heaven on a plate

Love it !!! Snobbery over which "game" bird is best to eat.
I think it comes down to an individuals taste, I find woodcock a little gamey for my palate, but a challenging bird to shoot. But agree on Partridge, have half a dozen sitting in the freezer for a dinner party at Xmas.

Really??

Never seen any horse riders popping back with shovel & bucket? :smilielol5::smilielol5:

By crap, I was referring to your bullet point, muck on the road. If I meant **** I'd have said ****. We don't have narrow, rural lanes in Wales :rolleyes:
Just relating what I was directed to comply with when working along one such road. Highways were very insistent that we cleaned the road before we left. Maybe he was a local, eh?

The Road Traffic Act 1988 applies to everyone using a public highway

Precisely. We were also instructed to make good the verge as well.

Back