Town & Country?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair the gene pool needs to be a little deeper out in the wilds :)

Do you mean they look like Sloth from the Goonies. I enjoy the country villages and waiting for the sheep or cattle to be moved from one field to the other. My wife is a Londoner but she would never want to live in London again. I enjoy driving in country lanes more than towns. Both sides of our families have farming backgrounds, my kids have been brought up knowing milk comes from a cow not a carton.

It has everything to do with democracy, if you pay taxes you have every right to ask those who tax you to make improvements to your life - that's the way the system works.

I guess you think anyone not 'born around here' should sit on the back of the bus.

So you obviously do think demanding the church bells be silenced, cattle movements be banned from roads, no muck spreading, no machinery noises apart from between 0900 and 1700 and no agricultural machinery on the roads is reasonable.
Selfish
Ignorant
Arrogant
Totally out of touch with reality.

Probably the same kind of person who would demand that supermarkets sell eggs at 1p each then complain at the smell coming from the mega unit battery farm and wring hands at the plight of the poor ickle chickens and also not give a jot that the two thousand milker dairy farm down the road is killing off the delicate riparian eco system as long as there was plenty of pressure filtered milk on the shelves.

Last edited:
The best or worst example i have seen to date is a family of anti hunt veggies moving to one of the biggest shooting estates in the country, and then buying the shooting rights for the surrounding fields to stop the pheasant and partridge shoot, that did not work and the keeper made it his point to send the beaters straight through the rented land, they have also twisted about the yearly rook shoot which got stopped this year and now we are over run by them, i think next June the rook shoot will happen regardless, it is just another fine example of numpties not knowing how the countryside works and is managed.

The day was just ending and I was descending
Down Grinesbrook just by Upper Tor
When a voice cried "Hey you" in the way keepers do
He'd the worst face that ever I saw
The things that he said were unpleasant
In the teeth of his fury I said
"Sooner than part from the mountains
I think I would rather be dead"
He called me a louse and said "Think of the grouse"
Well i thought, but I still couldn't see
Why all Kinder Scout and the moors roundabout
Couldn't take both the poor grouse and me
He said "All this land is my master's"
At that I stood shaking my head
No man has the right to own mountains
Any more than the deep ocean bed

***###
Numptie wealthy townies going all green wellie and Barbour for the day... killing animals especially bred to be shot and then mostly put in landfill as unfit for human consumption....
And then renting one of the farm cottages next to the hunt kennels where equally numptie horse box owners would abandon their $1000000 horse boxes across my drive so I could not get my Landie out!!!

I can understand pest control.. I can even see the pleasure that hunting rats with dogs must bring to the more challenged among us.

I have shot a few pigeon and warned off the odd fox... but I have NEVER shot anything for the mere pleasure of watching it die.

I suppose that makes me an anti hunt veggie Townie then!

Yeghes da

***###
The image I got when moving out of London to a large Sussex country estate and marrying the "Lairds Daughter"

Last edited:
I agree, and the improvement I would ask is that all townies are kept confined to the towns and not allowed to escape out into the countryside.:icon_204-2::judge::yeahthat:

They have been so used to being kept in captivity that it is cruel to release them into the wild.

Maybe we could exercise our 'democratic' right to improve our lives and have the ones already here sent back? Pity Beeching closed so many of the rural branch lines down, but then, we can always march them to the nearest surviving cattle sidings and load them onto the wagons there

Last edited:
Maybe we could excercise our 'democratic' right to improve our lives and have the ones already here sent back? Pity Beeching closed so many of the rural branch lines down, but then, we can always march them to the nearest surviving cattle sidings and load them onto the wagons there

Well that and the rhetoric spewing its way from across the pond from the president elect and his crownies... made cold shivvers run down me back... back to 1936?
I hope not!!

Nos da

So you obviously do think demanding the church bells be silenced, cattle movements be banned from roads, no muck spreading, no machinery noises apart from between 0900 and 1700 and no agricultural machinery on the roads is reasonable.
Selfish
Ignorant
Arrogant
Totally out of touch with reality.

Probably the same kind of person who would demand that supermarkets sell eggs at 1p each then complain at the smell coming from the mega unit battery farm and wring hands at the plight of the poor ickle chickens and also not give a jot that the two thousand milker dairy farm down the road is killing off the delicate riparian eco system as long as there was plenty of pressure filtered milk on the shelves.

How do you come to that conclusion?

I was born in a house that had monkeys living at the end of the garden, snakes regularly visiting the kitchen and one of the local polices duties was shooting the packs of feral dogs.

Feel free to tell me more about the stressed of country life.

I didn't think the suggestion that moving to a town you weren't born shouldn't prohibit you from having any say in how it is run was that controversial.

The day was just ending and I was descending
Down Grinesbrook just by Upper Tor
When a voice cried "Hey you" in the way keepers do
He'd the worst face that ever I saw
The things that he said were unpleasant
In the teeth of his fury I said
"Sooner than part from the mountains
I think I would rather be dead"
He called me a louse and said "Think of the grouse"
Well i thought, but I still couldn't see
Why all Kinder Scout and the moors roundabout
Couldn't take both the poor grouse and me
He said "All this land is my master's"
At that I stood shaking my head
No man has the right to own mountains
Any more than the deep ocean bed

***###
Numptie wealthy townies going all green wellie and Barbour for the day... killing animals especially bred to be shot and then mostly put in landfill as unfit for human consumption....
And then renting one of the farm cottages next to the hunt kennels where equally numptie horse box owners would abandon their $1000000 horse boxes across my drive so I could not get my Landie out!!!

I can understand pest control.. I can even see the pleasure that hunting rats with dogs must bring to the more challenged among us.

I have shot a few pigeon and warned off the odd fox... but I have NEVER shot anything for the mere pleasure of watching it die.

I suppose that makes me an anti hunt veggie Townie then!

Yeghes da

***###
The image I got when moving out of London to a large Sussex country estate and marrying the "Lairds Daughter"
It is not all about the shooting on these big estates, it is the land management that comes first and all kinds of wildlife thrive in such an environment, the keepers here have won awards for maintaining a healthy Grey Partridge population,elsewhere in the country they are on the decline and being over taken by the foreign French imports, the Grey Partridge where not shot last year as they never bred as good as years before.
The Hares thrive among the cover crops around every field as do the thousands of insects and song birds that visit all the flowers, amphibians also thrive in the artificial ponds and water ways, elsewhere they are also on the decline as a big part of the country is being ripped up to build big housing estates so the government can milk more council tax out of folk.
At the end of the day if folk do not like everyday life in the country side, LEAVE, it is that simple , instead of twisting on and trying to change centuries old ways of life and traditions.

Agree with you there Mr Millet

I do not suppose most folk who live and work the countryside could afford to do the loutish things that some city dwellers seem to like to do.

For certain here in this part of Cornwall and generally in the Westcountry we make more income from those who wish to enjoy the managed wilds... rather than attempt to kill everything that dares to move in the name of sport... wherever they may chose to live!

Yeghes da

Well that and the rhetoric spewing its way from across the pond from the president elect and his crownies... made cold shivvers run down me back... back to 1936?
I hope not!!

Nos da

We don't want those foreign types messing up our village.

I think you should consider yourself lucky to be living 'in god's pocket' and the inconvenience of one or two 'townies' trying (in vain) for change is a mere grain of sand on the shore of life. Things could be so much worse.
I don't consider myself a townie, I was born in Trelewis, a little mining village but surrounded by farmland and common land, my childhood was spent in the woods and fields around my home.
I now live in another village, one of three that made up the local parish. Since moving here, there has been systematic development that has merged these three villages, current development that will add another village to that equation and future development already passed. It's a sprawling metropolis now, cars everywhere, impossible to get in or out of the place.
I'm lucky that my job takes me all over and I've been in some stunning places, some as remote as it gets around here. I've often wondered and still do, if these people who are privileged to live in these places (let's face it, just accident of birth) actually appreciate how lucky they are.
Thankfully you don't have Redrow, Persimmon or some other developer churning up your beautiful vista by creating another 500 houses.

Thankfully you don't have Redrow, Persimmon or some other developer churning up your beautiful vista by creating another 500 houses.

Yes that would break my heart after all the effort I made to get Stan to move to this beautiful part of our country
I was brought up in Welwyn Garden City... a post war promise of jobs, homes and green spaces. Our garden had no fence onto fields of straw where harvest mice nested and rabbits barbered the margins. Skylarks in the sky serenaded our childhood skylarking in the fields but over the years the farms were sold and housing sprawled over my childhood memories.The council houses surrounding ours suddenly sprouted all sorts of add-ons as they were bought eagerly and cheaply their neat front gardens concreted over to provide parking for some big black behemoth that was lovingly washed and tinkered with on a Sunday....
The change was horrid and the neighbours became strangers to each other.

Yeah, sadly it's just change. Mind you, Trelewis has been prettified since the mining closed down. I never really noticed how close my Grandmothers house was to the pit, I suppose you don't see things like that when you're a kid.
I remember watching one episode of Countryfile where they discussed development. They were talking in tens, fifty extra houses in this village, another thirty in the next. It's laughable to hear the complaints when you've just witnessed over a thousand new homes built in the last five years, another 500 to come.
The farmer who sold this last plot of land has certainly taken care of his own but didn't think much about the local communities IMO.

We back on (across a field) to National Trust Property +Gardens. They killed off any development within eyesight of them.

So sell your stately manor to the National Trust and stop development..

Job done :paparazzi:

We back on (across a field) to National Trust Property +Gardens. They killed off any development within eyesight of them.:
Only because it would adversely affect their profits!

So sell your stately manor to the National Trust and stop development..
? ? ?

You'd think so but, try googling;
Conwy Falls,
RWE hydro power,
or Fairy Glen?

Only then will you realise that, (as with everything else) London is taking over the countryside to make money with little care for those living there.
Helen Ghosh & her mates are more than happy to turn the other cheek to make a fast buck!

Plus, buying policy for the "local Produce" in the NT shop is more acquisitive than Tesco!

Oh and don't get me started on the good old NFU!:ohthedrama:

Only because it would adversely affect their profits!

? ? ?

You'd think so but, try googling;
Conwy Falls,
RWE hydro power,
or Fairy Glen?

Only then will you realise that, (as with everything else) London is taking over the countryside to make money with little care for those living there.
Helen Ghosh & her mates are more than happy to turn the other cheek to make a fast buck!

Plus, buying policy for the "local Produce" in the NT shop is more acquisitive than Tesco!

Oh and don't get me started on the good old NFU!:ohthedrama:
Them local country butcher/bakers/ hardware etc shops are 100% better than all them big retailers and my preferred option all day long.

Do these Fools not realise that their "improvements" are derogating what drew them to the country?

I didn't think the suggestion that moving to a town you weren't born shouldn't prohibit you from having any say in how it is run was that controversial.

Perhaps not???

But that is the point.

Do these Fools not realise that their "improvements" are derogating what drew them to the country?

Perhaps not???

But that is the point.

The point being that if you weren't born somewhere you shouldn't have a say in its future?

The point being that if you weren't born somewhere you shouldn't have a say in its future?

There are a lot of places and different peoples in the world where it has not been very good for them for sure.

Back