To extract or not to extract is the question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
OA was applied last winter and 2x formic pro this year due to a very high V count, the brood box was placed above the QE.

Some of the frames I am able to extract but your thoughts please on extracting some frames from last year that had OA, there has been no brood in these frames.

OA was applied last winter and 2x formic pro this year due to a very high V count, the brood box was placed above the QE.

Some of the frames I am able to extract but your thoughts please on extracting some frames from last year that had OA, there has been no brood in these frames.
The hive are on double brood

Even though the storage is new over summer?
Whether it was put there last winter or last week, OA will have little effect on the honey. US regs permit OA application when supers are on, and residual OA disappears quite quickly.

Be more cautious with formic as it can acidify honey. Might be worth testing with litmus paper. Average pH of honey is 3.9.

Whether it was put there last winter or last week, OA will have little effect on the honey. US regs permit OA application when supers are on, and residual OA disappears quite quickly.

Be more cautious with formic as it can acidify honey. Might be worth testing with litmus paper. Average pH of honey is 3.9.
Thanks, good to know

If it’s last year’s honey then I would think it’s crystallised by now and will be impossible to extract.
If it’s not crystallised then there’s probably nothing wrong with extracting but, personally, I don’t think I would use it.

Latest posts

Back