Time to be ridiculed again

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it keeps well if not opened but once opened does dry out a bit.
Keep it in a cool damp place (garden shed is ideal)and it will be fine, just tidied up the store last winter and found a couple of slabs of fondant over five years old it may have been a bit stiffer than the fresher stuff but the bees cleared it no problems

Had a pack which was open since the winter that I've been feeding to a couple of nucs, hadn't been properly sealed but still fine to use... at least according to the bees.

(edit; of fondant!)

Does anyone feed fondant instead of sugar syrup. Just wondering as I have 15kg of it and it would be good to use up.

I use my fondant to prop open the garage door on warm days. I will pop in on later this autumn after feeding syrup.

I use my fondant to prop open the garage door on warm days. I will pop in on later this autumn after feeding syrup.
Our ants would greet me with open mandibles if I did that.

It's not about running out of sugar albeit there is likely to be pressure on sugar stocks. It's about not getting caught out because there are indicators that winter may come early, be colder and last longer.
Don't they say that every year?
Much the same as an Indian summer?

If there is a shortage of sugar it’s probably all the good food producing fields are now growing Rape Seed for bio fuel

If there is a shortage of sugar it’s probably all the good food producing fields are now growing Rape Seed for bio fuel
Far less rape being grown the last couple of years. Given high prices though expect to see more next year, with a bit of luck!!!

Back