Time to be ridiculed again

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karol

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Just a heads up that it may be prudent to buy in supplies of sugar early so as to avoid disappointment come winter. Solar activity is still depressed and all the signs are that we will have a colder longer winter.

Or, maybe feed before winter?

Have we ever seen shops run out of sugar due to a bad winter?
It's not about running out of sugar albeit there is likely to be pressure on sugar stocks. It's about not getting caught out because there are indicators that winter may come early, be colder and last longer.

From a horticultural perspective, plants are definitely preparing for winter earlier this year than last.

there are indicators that winter may come early, be colder and last longer.
Same stuck record we've been hearing for the last three or four years - so let's expect another normal winter of average temperatures, rainfall and length then shall we?

There is a shortage of sugar here already, and just about everything else, the nearest supermarket is having 'supply issues', and the next nearest are being stripped bare by hungry grockles.

No shortage of sugar in FarmFoods, Asda or Aldi where I shopped this am.
I just topped up my stores at £1.20 for 2kg at FF - less my 8% discount (£2off on £25 spend). I like to keep approx 25kg in a Cool Box (to keep it dry) for Spring.

Same stuck record we've been hearing for the last three or four years - so let's expect another normal winter of average temperatures, rainfall and length then shall we?
Can't answer for what record you've been listening to. First time I posted about this was summer 2020 and quite a few beekeepers had to feed longer into the spring than usual in 2021. Since then solar activity hasn't picked up (now third year of very low activity) and there have been more indicators suggesting feeding might be required for longer. Seems a no brainer to be prepared rather than trust to JIT.

Sugar prices are rising. If for no other reason than to get the best price buying now makes a lot of sense. I doubt it will ever reach the point of not being able to get it, but could be expensive.

Also, if buying invert, shop around. Some makers have not yet adjusted their prices, some have, and those that have not are likely to put them up shortly.

Can't answer for what record you've been listening to. First time I posted about this was summer 2020 and quite a few beekeepers had to feed longer into the spring than usual in 2021. Since then solar activity hasn't picked up (now third year of very low activity) and there have been more indicators suggesting feeding might be required for longer. Seems a no brainer to be prepared rather than trust to JIT.
I thought recent years had been some of the warmest on record inc the winters.?😉

Just a heads up that it may be prudent to buy in supplies of sugar early so as to avoid disappointment come winter. Solar activity is still depressed and all the signs are that we will have a colder longer winter.

Hi Karol,

Where do you get Solar activity or sun spot weather forecast from?

Dear moderators

I have deliberately not signed up for the Political/Environmental sub-forum in order to avoid these kind of conversations. Could this thread perhaps be moved into that area of the forum please?

Thanks in advance for considering my request

Dear moderators

I have deliberately not signed up for the Political/Environmental sub-forum in order to avoid these kind of conversations. Could this thread perhaps be moved into that area of the forum please?

Simply don’t read them.

Dear moderators

Do you need to be protected can’t you just not read the thread comment or view🤐

Latest posts

Back