THorne sale prices on line

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
they are making the 14 x12 brood.
i am not in any rush, was just looking forward to putting it together over crimbo!

does feel a bit naughty though selling sale items that don't exist!!!!!!!

same problem i have, ordered 10:30 on the 29th, phoned up, sorry we are out of 2nd quality 14x12s

did not take my joke, could they rough up a good one to make it a second and send it instead

expect I will now be put to the back of the queue bee-smillie

i was wondering if i should ask that one as well!
on the flips side of thing being late if they are making us up some fresh 14 x 12 brood boxes hopefully they wont be all dryed out and warped like one i got last year the other 2 were good though so could have been a bad egg, just odd that it was all four bits of timber that where dodgy.

one would hope that "made to order" seconds would be better quality than true seconds !

ie as per previous posts seconds purely due to the timber used not due to major faults.

they are making the 14 x12 brood.
i am not in any rush, was just looking forward to putting it together over crimbo!

why take the fun out of making them up, cold wet afternoon in April in your bee suit, trying to put together 10 frames and brood box, before the weather clears and the capped queen cells you have just found force your prized queen to swarm, realy good fun, must make a video "How to make a brood box in five minutes without injuring yourself" perpaps replace "without" with "and"

Last edited:
"why take the fun out of making them up, cold wet afternoon in April in your bee suit, trying to put together 10 frames and brood box, before the weather clears and the capped queen cells you have just found force your prized queen to swarm, realy good fun, must make a video "How to make a brood box in five minutes without injuring yourself" perpaps replace "without" with "and""
:iagree:

collecting my first swarm involved a very rapid lesson in fixing foundation to wired frames.

followed by a lesson is how (not) to retrieve a swarm from 40+ft up.

collecting my first swarm involved a very rapid lesson in fixing foundation to wired frames.

Cardboard box works well to collect a swarm,and leaves you plenty of time to make up your frames.

MM, if the colony is that near to swarming....stick the queen in a cage,and break down the cells,they won't go far...and it gives you time to get your other gear ready.

swarm capture

swarm collected in pillowcase using 2 ladders lashed together and tipped straight into waiting broodbox complete with frames.

(sorry about orientation - damn Preview)

MM,

No problem for the box at all if you have a couple of spare supers to hand. Job done in less than a minute..... Now, the frames might take a little longer, but, hey, you can make do with less than a full complement and a nuc box would suffice really. Then you have best part of a week to sort things!

I think that is the way I manage, when extra items are required at short notice.

Regards, RAB

local beek was having to lend me the hive as my order had been delayed due to supplier illness.

we just grabbed a complete new hive from his storage barn on way down to his yard where the swarm was and prepared the frames in one go.

i agree could have got by with just a few frames to start but it was a big swarm (nearly 1m long).

Latest posts

Back