Swarms not as plentiful this year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try this one. She’s bang in the middle of the frame in the last few seconds after taking a little walk around before she goes in.

View attachment 36351
Thanks for uploading this ,I've even slowed the speed down and struggling ,what hope do I have although quite good inside the hive spotting her 😀 My glasses are not too good though ,got to change them to glass lenses these plastic ones are not very good staying clean ,but they are much Dearer. 😀

Caught my first swarm yesterday in the nuc on top of the shed.
Only thing is there's a mass of bees hanging from the landing board area and under the front of the nuc, about a child's football size.
Is the nuc too small?
I've put a couple of frames in with starter strips to add to the 2 foundation and one drawn comb so they have somewhere to organise themselves.
I've also put an old hive full of foundation frames beside it in case they decide they need more room.
Short of locking the queen in with excluder (I don't want to it's cruel) is there anything else I can do to stop them absconding?
Also should I now remove the varroa slide for more ventilation or leave be?

It may be that the nuc is too small, or they're too warm and some of the bees have come out to help it cool down. Or it may be that there are two separate colonies. I believe I've had the latter happen twice this year having never seen it before. The bees inside the hive weren't allowing those outside to go through the entrance, so I "encouraged" them into a second hive where they seem happy enough.

James

It may be that the nuc is too small, or they're too warm and some of the bees have come out to help it cool down. Or it may be that there are two separate colonies. I believe I've had the latter happen twice this year having never seen it before. The bees inside the hive weren't allowing those outside to go through the entrance, so I "encouraged" them into a second hive where they seem happy enough.

James
The two colonies explanation is definitely a possibility as the nuc is Lang jumbo.... Just had a swarm pass by the window. Ive looked and the mass of bees has gone from the bottom of the nuc but there appear to be plenty of comings and goings from the nuc entrance so I reckon you're dead on.

Will take a look in the morning and move the other empty hive to that spot.
If it happens again I'll be ready for them.

Meanwhile here's one ......she's already out. Look how excited the bees are massing on the front of the hive. See if you can spot her coming back. She's there at around 1.25

View attachment 36350
How great. Yes, she’s a lovely gingery copper colour. Thank you for posting this 😁

Caught my first swarm this week! I used a jumbo brood box as a bait hive with one old brood frame and the rest standard-sized foundationless frames. I thought I'd be able to move them before they made a mess, but they built wax so quickly!Screenshot_20230528_213006_WhatsApp.jpg

Caught my 2nd swarm in 2 days yesterday. Probably a caste because they fit comfortably in a langstroth brood nuc.
I've put 2 x 700ml (yes a wine bottle) charges of 1:1.3 syrup into the feeder today and they've taken the lot. Even saw pollen coming in so hopefully they will stay put.
Also the bivouac of bees that sat outside the other nuc for a night left a beautiful teardrop of comb behind.
I took it off to photograph close up and my big old cat buggered off with it 🙄.
I suppose it's better than the lamb bollox he gifts me every year.

Small swarm into bait hive on the potting shed roof on Saturday . I presumed a cast. Opened them up yesterday to give them a frame of food but they have filled the old brood comb with nectar, have drawn one side of foundation and are busy on the two foundation free frames. Spotted the very black queen and she is laying.
I wish I knew where these were coming from. We get one like this every year. Last years is Demareed and going like a train.

Swarmy season for me has stopped now , very busy for an even shorter time this season .
Going to graft some more next week probably my final round because I need to start extracting from 64 supers I’m not looking forward to that at all .
Clover is coming out lovely we could just do with the temperature going up to 24c or above for a while.

I had another big one yesterday, which makes five in ten days, which equals the last thirty years! What's different this year? I am using old rotting solid floors, the brood boxes have a 25mm hole àbove the entrance, this seems to get all the attention of the scouts. There is a 100mm slatted eke under the bb, most have bits of wild comb, the ones that I have vaped so far have zero mites. My penny's worth
BTW, During this swarming frenzy, I have noticed that the least attractive bait is a well propolis eight frame poly box

Latest posts

Back