Swarms not as plentiful this year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We (the family) were just commenting on the lack of swarms this year. Last year we’d caught four or five swarms by now. This year so far we’ve caught only one.
It hasn’t been the warmest or the driest, especially in the morning.

How has it been for you?

I've captured/failed to capture/declined to (attempt to) capture seven since the start of May and there seem to be plenty of reports from other members the local BKA, including one yesterday when the bees must have emerged and found a bivouac site about half an hour before the torrential rain that caused lots of flooding in Devon and Somerset.

James

Too late for three, caught one, hearing of plenty. Seems a little less than last year. I checked my weather book and this time last year the weather was warmer by 1-2 degrees daily and dryer.

None in any of my traps yet, nor any calls, much to my annoyance. I know a guy had a swarm from his hives on our neighbours OSR, and the 4 wild colonies I know of seem very active, so I'm still hopeful..

I've captured/failed to capture/declined to (attempt to) capture seven since the start of May and there seem to be plenty of reports from other members the local BKA, including one yesterday when the bees must have emerged and found a bivouac site about half an hour before the torrential rain that caused lots of flooding in Devon and Somerset.

James
I caught one last year that were in a spindly shrub through torrential rain. They fantastically arranged themselves with each bee seemingly facing upwards, in the classic swarm long pear shape and the water must have gone off them a bit like it does on a duck's back.

Bees respond to the weather/conditions in fairness it’s been pretty crap around me with minimal income. I’m sure given an improvement in weather you won’t be disappointed. Although some beekeepers have said bees only swarm in May😂

Bees respond to the weather/conditions in fairness it’s been pretty crap around me with minimal income. I’m sure given an improvement in weather you won’t be disappointed. Although some beekeepers have said bees only swarm in May😂
With the big La Nina last season here, the swarms really got going late...I'd say at least a month later than usual. That's not to say there weren't early swarms. There seem to always be a few early ones.

I agree we the OP, this year seems to have been slow in the swarm collection stakes. I've only had 2 calls and none in approx 20 bait hives. I probably had 5or 6 by this time last year.

Same here last year from the 16th of may until mid June I retrieved 7 swarms , still all to play for or not , as long as I’m not inspecting the bottom box of a demaree again and watching a swarm fly down the fields .

Collected my earliest ever swarm yesterday

I've not had any calls yet though I expect they will pick up now with the change in the weather. I found just this one last week. I didn't sit and watch to see if they would go to the bait hive just below!

Attachments

• IMG_20230505_164829155_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230505_164829155_HDR.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
I’d had several calls last year by early May, nothing so far and even thought I was tempting fate by going to Spain last week as I usually get loads of calls when I’m far from home!
The weather here hasn’t helped with a lot of rain especially in the afternoon.
Is it an old wives tail that swarms don’t usually head out until about 2pm?

I've not had any calls yet though I expect they will pick up now with the change in the weather. I found just this one last week. I didn't sit and watch to see if they would go to the bait hive just below!
That's quite amusing!

We (the family) were just commenting on the lack of swarms this year. Last year we’d caught four or five swarms by now. This year so far we’ve caught only one.
It hasn’t been the warmest or the driest, especially in the morning.

How has it been for you?
Half of my colonies have made swarm preparations over the last 2 weeks requiring action I had a bait nuc in an apple tree at the bottom of the garden containing old comb and a few drops of lemongrass oil, scouts had been nosing around for a couple of weeks. On Sunday on returning home I found a swarm had taken occupancy, they settled and by Wednesday started bringing in pollen and this morning I strapped them up and moved them to my furthest out apiary. No other reports of swarms locally.

Things are finally looking promising here! No sign of any pollen being brought in, so probably just scouts, but thrilled to finally have some interest!!

Attachments

• PXL_20230514_163634735.mp4
    44.8 MB
I’d had several calls last year by early May, nothing so far and even thought I was tempting fate by going to Spain last week as I usually get loads of calls when I’m far from home!
The weather here hasn’t helped with a lot of rain especially in the afternoon.
Is it an old wives tail that swarms don’t usually head out until about 2pm?
Yes, a wive's tale in my experience. May be a useful rough guideline but by no means hard and fast.

I investigated one of my bait hives that hasn't seemed to get much attention from scouts when all the spare boxes dotted around have. When I lifted the roof, out came a queen wasp from her foundress colony.
When I cleaned it out and set it up again bees started investigating. 😀

Latest posts

Back