Swarms not as plentiful this year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I might have had another swarm take up residence in my home bait hive recently, possibly even today. No-one seems to have noticed it arriving, but there definitely appeared to be orientation flights happening this afternoon. I was out a fair bit of the day sorting out swarms elsewhere, so I could easily have missed it arriving. I'll pop the lid tomorrow and have a quick look.

James

Had a couple of scout bees eyeing up the nucs that I was loading into the car ready for yesterday’s challenging session.

Definitely have a colony in the bait hive I had out. I feel sure it must have arrived yesterday.

So this morning at about 10am I set up another a short distance away. There are at least a dozen bees checking it out already.

James

If I get a swarm in one of my bait hives I always take it away and set another up as I find I often get a caste swarm a week later.

I've found this year that having moved the bait hive away, some bees always seem to return even if I move it the same day that they took up residency. Not many, but enough to fight off other scouts if I put another bait hive in its place. I've therefore taken to alternating between two different locations perhaps 25m apart. Of course this all goes to pot when you fail to notice a swarm arriving so I might now have to find a third location :D

James

I've found this year that having moved the bait hive away, some bees always seem to return even if I move it the same day that they took up residency. Not many, but enough to fight off other scouts if I put another bait hive in its place. I've therefore taken to alternating between two different locations perhaps 25m apart. Of course this all goes to pot when you fail to notice a swarm arriving so I might now have to find a third location :D

James
Happens to me. I leave an empty super and tip the bees into the moved colony for a few nights.

Had a call from a neighbour this evening to say that a young family had a swarm in the garden, panicking a bit. I phoned the local swarm catcher but he said he was inundated. I did ask if we couldn't house them would he take them. So we went and got them at 7pm. Didn't think to take a photo and we forgot our smoker!!! As it happens we didn't need it, very calm on a cotoneaster. Didn't see the queen but a few bottoms in the air on the frames. Had to leave a few stragglers.
Progressed from,two hives waiting for 2 new queens to arrive tomorrow. One hive with a capped queen cell waiting to emerge and now a swarm. What a difference a few days make!!!!

Attachments

• IMG-20230515-WA0030.jpeg
    IMG-20230515-WA0030.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
Had a call from a neighbour this evening to say that a young family had a swarm in the garden, panicking a bit. I phoned the local swarm catcher but he said he was inundated. I did ask if we couldn't house them would he take them. So we went and got them at 7pm. Didn't think to take a photo and we forgot our smoker!!! As it happens we didn't need it, very calm on a cotoneaster. Didn't see the queen but a few bottoms in the air on the frames. Had to leave a few stragglers.
Progressed from,two hives waiting for 2 new queens to arrive tomorrow. One hive with a capped queen cell waiting to emerge and now a swarm. What a difference a few days make!!!!
Your going to need a bigger patio!

Well, my main colony (after i'd split 3 weeks ago) swarmed on Saturday, decided they didn't fancy it, went home and then swarmed again on Sunday (they went back into the hive within 20 minutes on Saturday). Fortunately they only went about 10 metres across the garden and settled low in a plum tree (a couple of feet off the ground). I'd obviously missed a QC when I had done the split and thought i'd left just one. Anyway, a fellow beek had a colony that had turned into a DLQ so I happily donated the swarm to him (I'd collected them in a nuc on the Sunday) as I just don't have room in my home apiary for any more colonies and am yet to find a suitable spot for an out-apiary.

Your going to need a bigger patio!
No............. four is the limit any more we would have to reunite at the end of the season. Hope to god we don't have to make splits

Latest posts

Back