Swarming tendencies after artificial swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you weree experienced you would know that queen cells can be 'pulled' at a point close to emergence. I, perhaps, would not advise it for a beginner - especially with only the one hive. Ripe cells are a different colour near the tip.

At this early part of the season you actually need more splits with virgin queens in order to improve the chances of getting one mated (weather dependent, so a bit of a lottery with April queens).

I would always advise the route to maintain a live colony - Q- bees can always be re-united later. Simple insurance for those with only the single colony.

I don't think I can risk opening up the hive now. Can I?

beenovice

- my advice is that you do open up asap and remove one of those Qcells.

You've had a selection of excellent replies from experienced beekeepers but the final decision is up to you!

Please let us know what happens..

richard

We'll I decided not to interfere with the brood hive with the QC. I placed a bait hive in the locality just in case. Due to work I haven't been able to sit watching them all day, but I have called in to see them every day at about 6pm. I haven't noticed anything untoward. Bees are still busily going in and out.
My next question is when should I have a look for the possibility of eggs. AS was carried out on 16th with capped QC's. Additional QC's taken down on 21st.
Also, the feeder is just running out. Should I refill?

I don't think I can risk opening up the hive now. Can I?

beenovice

- my advice is that you do open up asap and remove one of those Qcells.

You've had a selection of excellent replies from experienced beekeepers but the final decision is up to you!

Please let us know what happens..

richard

Just to keep you up to date with what happened, both the hive with QC's and the NYC I had made at the same time have swarmed today. See my other thread "what on earth should I do now?"

Richard you were correct and have permission to say "I told you so!"

Latest posts

Back