Swarm swarmed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putnamsmif

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Artificially swarmed which seemed to go well. After I moved the hive to the other side of the hive on the original site, the little buggers have swarmed any way. I have 2 questions which if someone could help me with I'd be extremely grateful. 1 - should I have knocked down all but one queen cell in the queen less hive? (I didn't because I read in Hooper there's no need to they'll do it themselves - and yes I know they don't read books), and 2 - should I re-unite now with the old queen? There are still 2 capped queen cells left and I don't want any more to go.

This seems to be a funny year - the bees are optimistic and they appear to cast a swarm for almost every Queencell, so I would destroy at but one. (Make sure it is one you know is charged so maybe an unsealed one with a larvae in if you can)

If you want more honey rather than more colonies it is better to unite. I think many will kill the old queen then you have a youngish one for winter but if you can't find her or can't be bothered (or feel you can't kill her) you can let the girls sort it out themselves. That's just the way I would approach it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back