Queen emerging how long should I leave before inspecting

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeBird

Lakes bee from Mungrisdale near Keswick
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
4 WBC & 2 Abelo 12 frame national poly
One of my hives, following a swarm prevention split, had 2 Queen cells which were due to emerge 2 weeks ago, checked 2 days before emergence date and all looked well, although after reading some posts on here I now wish I had just left one cell. When should I inspect the hive?

Great, thanks for your advice. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for another week :)

If 4 weeks from emergence gives her a better chance to get mated and established her laying I will go with that. My worry is that if the re queening has failed would there be a risk of laying workers? or would there still be time to buy and introduce a laying Queen?
I have purchased and introduced a mated Queen to one of my other colonies successfully, but this is the first time I have tried to let a colony make their own Queen, so I’m a bit nervous 😬

If after 4 weeks you see no eggs, add a frame of brood to the colony, but without fuss and noise. Brood pheromone deters laying workers.
Agree - very sensible advice - in most instances I find eggs and a newly laying queen about 4 days after adding a test frame at 4 weeks - be patient although the temptation to peek becomes progressively more irresistible!

Agree - very sensible advice - in most instances I find eggs and a newly laying queen about 4 days after adding a test frame at 4 weeks - be patient although the temptation to peek becomes progressively more irresistible!
How right you are 🫣, but I will stand firm and resist lifting the lid. The colony seem very calm so I hope that is a good sign that all is going well inside the hive 🤞

Back