Sugar?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixFooter

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I just jarred up last year's honey. I warmed it in buckets, put into a settling tank for a day, then put into jars. Most of the jars ended up with a small layer of what looks like granulated sugar in the bottom of the jar. I tried warming the jars again, shaking and warming again again, but the layer at the bottom just settles out again. Is it likely to be sugar? I haven't fed bees with sugar or fondant for a couple of years. My next door neighbour feeds every year though. Maybe my bees knicked it or maybe it isn't sugar, but that's what it looks like.

I just jarred up last year's honey. I warmed it in buckets, put into a settling tank for a day, then put into jars. Most of the jars ended up with a small layer of what looks like granulated sugar in the bottom of the jar. I tried warming the jars again, shaking and warming again again, but the layer at the bottom just settles out again. Is it likely to be sugar? .

No - it's just the last bit of crystalised honey that refuses to liquefy - it happens sometimes, as EricA, leave it in the warmer a little longer. Failing that put the jars in a shallow dish and just fill with hot water about an inch or so up the jar.

Ok. I did think about decanting, but there are about 200 jars. I guess I should just not worry about it. I think that's what Finman means. I tried heating to 40 degrees in my warming cabinet for 3 days. I'll try the hot water trick

If worried get some of the "crystalization is a sign of quality stickers" shows lack of processing.

Crystallized honey is desired in some parts of the United States as is comb honey. However liquid honey is the standard.

Had tiny flecks in my honey but they were suspended in the honey could this be similar to what has been suggested here? Tried warming but without very much success. The honey tasted fine.

Had tiny flecks in my honey but they were suspended in the honey could this be similar to what has been suggested here? Tried warming but without very much success. The honey tasted fine.

Sounds about the same - they will sink to the bottom eventually.
You will also find it when the honey starts to re-crystalise, it starts off with a thin almost indiscernible layer coating the bottom of the jar which gradually moves up until it reaches the lid.

Latest posts

Back