storing honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markfitz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
hi everyone, im going extracting honey from my hives in a couple of weeks, the problem is I don't need the honey till next February, and im wondering whats the best way to store it as I don't want it to crystalize.

Granulation is certain, sooner or later at normal room temperatures. It is reversible. Accept that it may go solid and work around that fact. Or you could put it in the freezer to slow down the granulation rate to an extent that the time scale is irrelevant.

Last edited:
The best honey will granulate so don't spoil it by cooking it to keep it runny. When you need to use it just warm it up - no more than 50C. Pal of mine puts his honey buckets in the oven overnight on its lowest setting and has informal contracts with farm shops locally who are happy to buy and sell it, properly labelled etc.

I don't want it to crystalize.

If the honey wants to crystallize, it does it.

In freezer crystallifation is avoided, but when you start to use, it it makes granules quickly.
Better to make from it soft honey.

You cannot stop it crystallising

I just stand the buckets in a hot bath for a few hours to bring it back to runny when I want to jar it for sale.

Latest posts

Back