Starting a nuc

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cussword

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Still just the 1
I read somewhere that, when you wish to start a nuc to introduce a queen, you can put in frames of brood/bees etc from 3 different hives and they will not fight.
Anyone have an opinion on that?

It does work but if I'm making a nuc to introduce a mated queen to then unite to replace a queen in another colony I just use one frame of emerging brood.

It does work but if I'm making a nuc to introduce a mated queen to then unite to replace a queen in another colony I just use one frame of emerging brood.

Not wishing to be antagonistic in any way, but would you not have another frame for a seam and perhaps give them a sandwich or two, so to speak?

Sorry, not clear. I was alluding to the brood.
Poly nuc box.
1 frame emerging brood, next to the wall then I frame stores, make the rest of the nuc (5 or 6 frame) up with drawn comb. Shake in 3 or 4 frames of nurse bees
Swap food and brood frame around when brood emerged

Sorry, not clear. I was alluding to the brood.
Poly nuc box.
1 frame emerging brood, next to the wall then I frame stores, make the rest of the nuc (5 or 6 frame) up with drawn comb. Shake in 3 or 4 frames of nurse bees
Swap food and brood frame around when brood emerged

That was the way I read that.

As I'm hoping to over-winter the nuc, I'll be using the three frames.

So,, I did that and now the nuc is full. If it was earlier in the year I'd be sure that they were ready to be hived.

The only problem is that I wanted to over Winter the nuc. I realise that the brood will emerge and give the queen more room to lay, but as it's my first time is this normal- ish?

So,, I did that and now the nuc is full. If it was earlier in the year I'd be sure that they were ready to be hived.

The only problem is that I wanted to over Winter the nuc. I realise that the brood will emerge and give the queen more room to lay, but as it's my first time is this normal- ish?

I was shocked when I made up my nuc a month or so ago at just how full it was the last time I inspected it. It is only 5 frames though so I have been assured that by moving them into a 6 frame box they should be ok to over winter.

Also my first time so not 100% sure but will have to see. They seem happy enough at the moment. I just hope they don't go over the top on the balsam and fill it with lovely honey.

it's July not autumn,still plenty of time to hive a nuc and get them built up for winter.

Thanks JBM, so if I hive this nuc now, when would be the best time to start a nuc to over-winter?

I'm sure I saw or read somewhere that Michael Palmer said it was a good idea to over-winter nucs to help with spring emergencies.

Last edited:
it's July not autumn,still plenty of time to hive a nuc and get them built up for winter.

Sorry to hijack. Do you reckon mine would build up in time? My beek buddy locally reckoned they will be ok on 6 frames over winter. They only have 2.5 frames of brood currently. Don't want them getting too cramped but thought a 6 frame box might be ok?

Sorry to hijack. Do you reckon mine would build up in time? My beek buddy locally reckoned they will be ok on 6 frames over winter. They only have 2.5 frames of brood currently. Don't want them getting too cramped but thought a 6 frame box might be ok?
you might get away with it - you can always take out a frame of brood to boost another hive if they get a bit congested

Thanks JBM, so if I hive this nuc now, when would be the best time to start a nuc to over-winter?

I'm sure I saw or read somewhere that Michael Palmer said it was a good idea to over-winter nucs to help with spring emergencies.

I'm making one or two up now which might overwinter as nucs.
It doesn't really matter whether you overwinter your 'spares' as nucs or hives - you can always unite a couple in the spring to give you strong colonies with a head start.

you might get away with it - you can always take out a frame of brood to boost another hive if they get a bit congested

Thanks. They are in a 5 frame wooden box at the moment. I am waiting on the arrival of a 6 frame poly nuc so they will be going into that with an extra frame of foundation when it arrives. Hopefully that will give them enough room.

I am surprised they have managed as well as they have given my inexperience and the problem after problem I have had. It has been turbulent. But fascinating at the same time.

Back