Using Abelo queen introduction cage

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am expecting a queen on Friday, which I ordered 6 weeks ago for a queenless colony, which has now miraculously requeened itself in the meantime! I have not had much luck with bought queens in the past, so I am determined to get it right this time. I want to introduce the queen to a small nuc, then unite it when it is larger with another colony.
Does the following plan sound right to you experienced beekeepers? I intend to use an Abelo whole frame queen introduction cage in a 3 frame nuc. I will find a frame of emerging brood, from a calm colony, with some space for the queen to lay and remove all bees from it before placing it and the queen inside. I will put it in the nuc with a frame of food (maybe?) and another frame. I am not sure if that frame should be emerging brood also, or if I should shake in any extra bees? Also, in this case, as no bees can get in or out of the cage, should I include the queen's attendants because she could be in the cage for a while and will need feeding, etc? Last time I introduced a queen in a nuc, using the cage it arrived in, I gave syrup, but it was invaded by robber bees, even though it was far away from the other hives, so I won't do that again! Any advice, which could save me from wasting £50+ would be appreciated.

placing the queen on a frame of brood in a nuc with no other bees is not going to work - regardless of what fancy cage you use. If you are set on using that cage - it needs to go in to a hive or nuc full of bees and brood. It's safe enough to leave her with the attendants she came with.
I would just introduce her to a nuc in the cage she came in. no need to put a feeder in as there is a flow on

Thank you JBM for your advice. I will not put a feeder on the nuc as advised, but I am still determined to use the fancy cage, because I tried using the cage she came in twice, and both times she was killed/disappeared. It could have been because the bees were defensive, which was why I was trying to re queen or because they had been queenless for too long. I might have implied I was not going to put bees in the nuc, but I was just wondering how many I should shake in, as well as the nurse bees on the other 2 frames. I'll let you know if it works out this time!

how long are you leaving the queen cage in the nuc before opening the flap? I would recommend 5 days if your having issues.

Are you sure you don't have a virgin queen in the nuc?

Thank you JBM for your advice. I will not put a feeder on the nuc as advised, but I am still determined to use the fancy cage, because I tried using the cage she came in twice, and both times she was killed/disappeared. It could have been because the bees were defensive, which was why I was trying to re queen or because they had been queenless for too long. I might have implied I was not going to put bees in the nuc, but I was just wondering how many I should shake in, as well as the nurse bees on the other 2 frames. I'll let you know if it works out this time!
I own one of the abelo cages and they are good but I only use it for expensive breeder queens, for normal F1 queens the mailer cages are fine and if left 5 days for acceptance with no queen in the hive they work perfectly.

I tried introducing the first two bought in queens I ever got using that Abelo queen introduction frame, only to twice discover they'd killed the queen. I fear now that they overcomplicate something when an introduction cage is fine. If I'm being especially cautious, I make sure I'm introducing to a muc and I also move that nuc so that the older, more aggressive foragers have to beg their way into the neighbouring hive.

All this fiddling and stress...I make 300 nucs each summer. We move them to their apiary and give a caged queen
with cork off candy end. No days of waiting. No waiting at all. The bees know they're queenless in an hour or less. No problems. Every year...4 or 5 of the queens aren't accepted. Cut out the emergency cells and give another queen. Problem fixed.

Latest posts

Back