Stainless steel extractor and winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3509

House Bee
Reaction score
Those of you that have stainless steel extractors can I ask what do you do at the end of the season with regard to maintenance and protection from damp etc? I think I read somewhere that the moving parts should be greased and if this is the case what grease do you use?

You can use something like olive oil to coat the stainless, just make sure to wash it off before using. I don't use anything on mine it has been fine for several years.

Apart from putting vaseline on the central ball bearing and maybe checking the lubrication on the spinner mechanism after the final extraction, I do nothing as I retire it to a spare bedroom which is cool and dry and where I also store my stock of jars,lids, wax, etc. I am lucky that 'er indoors keeps trap shut I suppose. Surely the S/S barrel itself needs nothing more than a wipe with a damp rag before packing away?

Last edited:
Have to agree I don't think Vaseline is food safe is it ?

Thanks. I have ordered some food grade grease for the moving parts. One of the members at our local association suggested wiping the inside of the drum with baby oil. Has anyone tried this?

Thanks. I have ordered some food grade grease for the moving parts. One of the members at our local association suggested wiping the inside of the drum with baby oil. Has anyone tried this?

Don't use mineral or any petrochemical oils. You could introduce them into your process and you are making food, remember.

If you must do inside, use an edible oil or get one of those big bags of silica gel used in classic cars.

If the drum is genuine stainless steel then you will not and should not coat it with anything as the drum cannot rust, inferior chinese drums are a different matter. I used to work in a soft drinks factory and Ambersil do a very good food grade spray grease that dries and won't drip into the product at room temperature. 316 is the grade of steel you should look for in the drum

Those of you that have stainless steel extractors can I ask what do you do at the end of the season with regard to maintenance and protection from damp etc? I think I read somewhere that the moving parts should be greased and if this is the case what grease do you use?

Stainless steel means that it does not react with honey or with moisture. But if it has both there, mold will be there soon and banana flyes., Even fille with honey year around. That is why steel containers are used.

What idea is to grease it? it has no meaning.. And how damp affects on stainelss steel, like your citchen cettle?

Another stupid thing is to use soap in washing? What for? It is pure water only.

Long time ago iron cettles were creased that they do not take rust.

Latest posts

Back