Soda crystals

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those empty invert drums will come in useful after all.

I don't have any of those, but I'm not short of others. I have a large pile of black dairy hypochlorite ones that I intend to use as a heat store in Frankenstein's Greenhouse, but also some white ones that used to contain washing up liquid or something similar (we buy it in bulk so there's less waste plastic) that I'll probably use for the washing soda mix.

James

The price for soda crystals seems to be going up and up without end. Has anyone got a reasonably-priced source at the moment? I'm half-tempted to start buying them in 25kg sacks.

James
Tescos were the cheapest at 80p. I bought 10 packs recently.

90p in Lidl, last time I bought some it was 60p!!
As regards washing soda you have to be a little careful. I got some from Tesco once and it seems that it, and some others contain a detergent which once it starts to boil produces masses of froth. Just read the pack. James - the Proper Job stuff is just plain so no problems.

As regards washing soda you have to be a little careful. I got some from Tesco once and it seems that it, and some others contain a detergent which once it starts to boil produces masses of froth. Just read the pack. James - the Proper Job stuff is just plain so no problems.
Sorry, it's sugar I was on about, as mentioned in an earlier comment.

Good to hear that James, hope it has helped you out

Indeed it has. I shall certainly be checking them out first when I next need some, though I can't help wondering if they have it at that price because it's from stock they bought some time ago.

James

Indeed it has. I shall certainly be checking them out first when I next need some, though I can't help wondering if they have it at that price because it's from stock they bought some time ago.

James
Proper Job are brilliant .. there's one in Frome that I go to when I visit our daughter there, sadly they don't seem to stray much outside of Somerset, Bristol and Gloucester ...

Someone told me that if you throw in some sugar soap with the soda crystals it stops it foaming

They appear to have an "own brand" version that's out of stock, otherwise the price looks a lot more than that now: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258133332

My wife has been to Proper Job this morning however and returned with sufficient to last us a few months :D

James
Wow! Glad I stocked up when I did. Wonder what they are basing the average food inflation % on. Our average shopping basket price is at around +45% increase on last year and that’s with shopping around for best deals.

They appear to have an "own brand" version that's out of stock, otherwise the price looks a lot more than that now: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/258133332

My wife has been to Proper Job this morning however and returned with sufficient to last us a few months :D

James
We’ve also been to Proper Job this morning, thanks to Garry R, and stocked up.... like you James, I’ve enough to last a few months:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

We’ve also been to Proper Job this morning, thanks to Garry R, and stocked up.... like you James, I’ve enough to last a few months:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

The Taunton one? If so they're probably going to be wondering what on Earth has caused this sudden rush on washing soda :D

James

The Taunton one? If so they're probably going to be wondering what on Earth has caused this sudden rush on washing soda :D

James
If it gets caught by social media, between the pair of you, you could have caused an international rush on purchases of washing soda .... and a subsequent world shortage !

Proper Job are brilliant .. there's one in Frome that I go to when I visit our daughter there, sadly they don't seem to stray much outside of Somerset, Bristol and Gloucester ...
Well Proper Job see - clue's in the name my dear - West Country........... There is a beer called Proper Job too and it's OK

Back