Battery options

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've been thinking about buying a battery-powered strimmer for tidying up around apiary sites and thought that it might be a sensible option to buy one with a battery that could also be used in the InstantVap should I be tempted to go down that route at some point in the future. All the different variations and options are doing my head in though. And they seem to change models so often. I'm half tempted to get a scythe and be done with it, but for the fact that a decent scythe seems to cost as much as some of the strimmers.

James

I've been thinking about buying a battery-powered strimmer for tidying up around apiary sites and thought that it might be a sensible option to buy one with a battery that could also be used in the InstantVap should I be tempted to go down that route at some point in the future. All the different variations and options are doing my head in though. And they seem to change models so often. I'm half tempted to get a scythe and be done with it, but for the fact that a decent scythe seems to cost as much as some of the strimmers.

James
I've got an older version of the 36v one and mine has a curved shaft ....I've used the straight shaft version too. Both really excellent...so powerful and the battery can be used on different Ryobi products. Don't leave it out in any rain at all (battery). I definitely wouldn't use the battery for an InstantVap however.

https://www.ryobi.com.au/garden-tools/products/list/category/line-trimmers-brushcutters

I have a battery operated Makita strimmer. I replaced the strimmer head with a brush cutter blade as I have a lot of brambles to contend with at both apiaries. Works brilliantly and the bees ignore the machinery.
Managed to get a really good deal which included extra batteries over the winter. I used PriceSpy to track prices for a while before buying. Another consideration is, will it fit in the car? The model I have splits in half so it fits in a Honda jazz along with bee kit.

As you want it to to be compatible with an instant vap these are the battery models you are limited to….as you also want it to power a strimmer you are then only looking at 18v+
  • with: Parkside® X20V-TEAM; Einhell® Power X Change; Metabo® 18V; Makita® LXT; Milwaukee®M18; Bosch® GBA/ProCore 18V; Dewalt® XR 18/20V, FlexVolt 20/60V or 18/54V
  • 18V; 240W; 13A
Battery power tools are great but they are limited in power and longevity. For keeping the weeds at bay in a cleared area probably fine but limited for tougher work imo.
I’m a Makita fan and have had fantastic service in the past with returns/repairs. Had a nightmare recently though🤬
I’d stick with
Makita
De Walt
Milwaukee
All available at good merchants and often on deals. Large merchants also deal with returns, avoid DIY type stores.

Milwaukee are my favourite, but power tools are definitely a personal thing.

I looked at the battery option for keeping Apiaries tidy, but went with a small straight shafted husqvarna for the issue already mentioned, battery types are very limited and a blade can not be used.
Stihl have a couple of decent small units, but I'm definitely a loyal huski user.

Generally, a petrol unit run on Aspen fuel will not pee off the Colonies in my experience.

I have gone for that, works really well but I only have grass and ferns to deal with and my apiaries are not really big. Surprisingly powerful. I have invested in a spare battery as well.
I also have a long reach Makita hedge cutter, again works well for up to an inch diameter branches.

Spend the money and get a decent STIHL one. The Stihl shop on the industrial estate on the road out of town from the hospital will do you a good deal on one .

I have DeWalt 18v kit and it's almost impossible to get a new 5ah battery for less than £50
So when I see a budget brand cordless tool with a charger and two batteries for less then that I'm not thinking about the words 'quality' and 'longevity'
Cheap brands come and go leaving you stranded when those cheap batteries quickly wear out.
Classic example- our local Aldi currenty have cordless drills and grinders sold as bare units.
They also sell chargers.
But no batteries.....

I work at a large tree surgery firm as a mechanic/fitter
Over the last few years we’ve been buying rechargeable hedge cutters/chainsaws etc due to the shift in climate
We’ve had quite a few issues with the Sthil products, long handled hedge cutters were the worst offender, the units would just throw up a red light, the manuals say take them to a dealership for repair,
We did, and was told they were irreparable! And not comercial, not that they are used in anger unlike petrol units, So much for moving forward, and they weren’t cheap to buy.

We must have over half a dozen units that are only good for spares!

At least with a dirty little 2 stroke they keep on going!

As said, power tool manufacturers seem to be on top of their game regarding battery’s, I personally am a big lover of Dewalt, but the garden machinery is a bit behind imho.

We got the Stiga strimmer as the bosses brother owns a Stiga dealership.

i have a slightly mixed fleet

went with a de-walt for a strimmer for bees hoping the battery powered strimmer would antagonise less than my petrol stihl and it does antagonise less which is good

i have de-walt power tools so the battery and charger being compatible with those works well

im sort of wishing id got my battery 'fleet' of tools as stihl tho

havent got in to vaping yet so those hurdles lie ahead

Spend the money and get a decent STIHL one. The Stihl shop on the industrial estate on the road out of town from the hospital will do you a good deal on one .
But that won’t work with an instant vap if you mean a battery still? I’ve plenty of Stihl petrol blowers/cutters

But that won’t work with an instant vap if you mean a battery still? I’ve plenty of Stihl petrol blowers/cutters
True, I don't know that any battery for a strimmer will work with a vap. Has anyone tried it?

True, I don't know that any battery for a strimmer will work with a vap. Has anyone tried it?
Makita use the standard tool batteries as am sure will some of the others

There are strimmers that run on the batteries listed as compatible with the InstantVap, certainly.

James
Just been looking at the instantvap. Didn't even know it existed, interesting, would love one but a tad expensive for half a dozen hives!

Just been looking at the instantvap. Didn't even know it existed, interesting, would love one but a tad expensive for half a dozen hives!

I agree. I couldn't justify it yet, but if my hive numbers increase it might well be a sensible option and I'd prefer to stick to one battery "ecosystem".

James

The more I ponder on this the more I think it would make sense to go with a decent strimmer whatever the brand and a Gasvap with heavily-modded heat-shielding. Electrickery with strings attached just seems too much like a pain in the bum to be honest.

James

The more I ponder on this the more I think it would make sense to go with a decent strimmer whatever the brand and a Gasvap with heavily-modded heat-shielding. Electrickery with strings attached just seems too much like a pain in the bum to be honest.

James
There is absolutely no comparison between a gas vap and an instant vap, they are not in the same league!

There is absolutely no comparison between a gas vap and an instant vap, they are not in the same league!

Oh, I agree. But if you discount the InstantVap and don't want to cart around a battery (and optionally an inverter) or generator, what's left?

James

Latest posts

Back