Soda crystals

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The price for soda crystals seems to be going up and up without end. Has anyone got a reasonably-priced source at the moment? I'm half-tempted to start buying them in 25kg sacks.

James

The price for soda crystals seems to be going up and up without end. Has anyone got a reasonably-priced source at the moment? I'm half-tempted to start buying them in 25kg sacks.

James
Ditto but noticed the price in Tescos for sugar yesterday - 95p/kg !

Ditto with FB&B meal and linseed oil.
At least my wages haven't gone up much.

I get all my nasties ( OA,alcohol,acetic, acetone etc) from Apc
The price for SC there is jaw dropping but I'm not sure if it's a purer product than DriPak (who are a little more reticent over their products integrity)

Last edited:
Difficult to prevent it setting rock hard in storage.

I was thinking of using some to make up, say, 25 litres for beekeeping use and then splitting the rest into smaller airtight containers. We get through a reasonable amount because I also use it for cleaning stuff in the brewery and we also use it in the washing machine.

James

I was thinking of using some to make up, say, 25 litres for beekeeping use and then splitting the rest into smaller airtight containers. We get through a reasonable amount because I also use it for cleaning stuff in the brewery and we also use it in the washing machine.

James
Cheapest I've found lately is on amazoon - still £1.90 a kilo (if you buy four or more)

Ditto but noticed the price in Tescos for sugar yesterday - 95p/kg !
Had my spring meeting with British sugar this morning. Currently trading at £1000/t and still rising. Astonishingly 95p is not looking high.
Even the rejected joblots we buy are going up by 150 per tonne compared to last year.

So we can expect the price of some honey to rise😂
If it truly is fake. Chinese honey CIF Felixstowe currently less than you can buy sugar for. You could feed bees on it (not serious!) as invert is now even more expensive. If it is fake it would not have AFB/EFB risk with it...........(but probably does!).

However much of the UK price on sugar is down to the still restricted market...all beet bar one single cane importer with a virtual monopoly. Beet prices to the farms up by 60% or so...but still a serious shortfall in production in Europe. UK a bit better for 2023 but only up to a level a little below demand. Some countries down by 25% as too many pests they cannot control

If it truly is fake. Chinese honey CIF Felixstowe currently less than you can buy sugar for. You could feed bees on it (not serious!) as invert is now even more expensive. If it is fake it would not have AFB/EFB risk with it...........(but probably does!).

However much of the UK price on sugar is down to the still restricted market...all beet bar one single cane importer with a virtual monopoly. Beet prices to the farms up by 60% or so...but still a serious shortfall in production in Europe. UK a bit better for 2023 but only up to a level a little below demand. Some countries down by 25% as too many pests they cannot control
Was explaining to some students about faked foods and how faked doesn't mean it's entirely artificial, just that it's not pure. They seemed less surprised by milk and honey than olive oil.

James
James - I am sure you are aware of ProperJob the diy etc and they are certainly in Somerset. Their Washing Soda is great for frame cleaning and is only £1 per kilo so better get there!!! Cracking shop. Look for location online

Reactions: Niv
James - I am sure you are aware of ProperJob the diy etc and they are certainly in Somerset. Their Washing Soda is great for frame cleaning and is only £1 per kilo so better get there!!! Cracking shop. Look for location online

I'd not heard of them as it happens. Turns out that (in Taunton at least), the shop used to be called Chaplins. I know exactly where that is, so they may get a visit tomorrow :D

James

I cornered the market summer 2021 before the price hikes started - Picked up 2 dozen 1Kg packs for 62p a kilo delivered.
That reminds me - I still have a box of two dozen stashed away in number 1 shed from that time

That’s a useful tip. Thanks. I’ll pay them a visit too

Back