SN1 Frames - Manley Frames - SN4/5 Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fiftyjon

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
a few more than 10
On my few national hives I have a mixture of the following types of shallow frames in the supers:

SN1
SN4/5
Manley

If I use drawn comb and space at ten frames per super then there isn't an issue of brace comb. The combs get filled and capped. :hurray:

Now:
The same type of frame is in each super but here is the question, if I place ten SN1 frames with just foundation using castillated spacers or plastic spacers, I have found that the bees will not always draw the comb out straight, there can be alot of brace comb.

If I use Manley shallow frames with foundation there doesn't seem to be any issue although the distance between the foundation is the same as above.

Why is that?

I know that you might suggest that I just use 11/12 in the super and when drawn put them at the spacing for 10, or even down to 9.:eek:

so I know of a way around it but I'm curious as to why the bees might behave differently with the Manleys and the SN1's.

Interested in reasoned views....

The space between Manley top bars (and bottom bars) is one beespace.

The space between SN1 topbars (on x10 castellations) is much more. And the space between bottom bars is even more.
If the space is bigger than a beespace, the bees will put wax there...

Latest posts

Back