Small hive beetle in mainland Europe.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Feel sad for them having to have more bonfires in the hope of eradicating the beetles.
:iagree: especially as the experts say it's there to stay - think they'd now concentrate on finding a way to live with it.

Feel sad for them having to have more bonfires in the hope of eradicating the beetles.

Yep, the poor souls losing years of work....
They did the same thing here with acarine, HM. Depopulated thousands of colonies. Had no effect. Unfortunately, SHB is now in Europe to stay, and will eventually make its way to the UK. You all will figure out how to deal with it, and I would bet it won't be as bad as you fear.

Yep, the poor souls losing years of work....
They did the same thing here with acarine, HM. Depopulated thousands of colonies. Had no effect. Unfortunately, SHB is now in Europe to stay, and will eventually make its way to the UK. You all will figure out how to deal with it, and I would bet it won't be as bad as you fear.

Yup They said the Same about Asian Hornet, its here, some have it worse than others but its not as bad as they first said it would be! Their still keeping bees in the Gironde region.
I am a little anxious as to how to treat all three at the same time, Asian Hornet, Small hive Beetle and Varroa. :hairpull:

Move to Finland. No doubt its too cold there for the hornet

Or Ireland! We don't have European hornets so I doubt (hope) the Asian one will make it here either unless climate change brings us up a couple of deg.

Will the SHB make it?? Well I remember being a kid in London in the '70's and seeing the colorado beetle posters up in every police station. They never made it in so maybe SHB won't either.

Does anyone know how far they can move in an year? how far can the beetles fly if their only moving under their own reproduction cycles. (without hitching a lift from humans etc) Interesting to know how many kilometres they might travel and when we could realistically expect them to start raising a problem here?
We have the Alps between us and them.

The trial actually took place around the National Botanic Gardens outside Carmarthen (not really even near Cardiff!) the RBI phoned a few of us local beeks and asked whether they could use their apiaries for the practical exercises (luckily I was just outside the radius, and I think Frank knew what my reply to his request would have been anyway! :D) Frank went around before the exercise began, hiding plastic SHB models in the hives and the SBI's had to inspect all the apiaries and go through the motions of the contingency plans!

If I have got this right it has taken a whole year for new cases of SHB to be reported (1st reported september last year).

Is that really credable? I mean nobody has seen it for a whole spring and summer during the active season then we start to get new cases.

In America has the beetle slowed down the further north is has gotten?

How cold does it get in VT?

Does anywhere in the UK get that cold?

VERY. 0F -15C commonplace and often much lower.

No

A good question is what is the zone in the US where SHB transitions from pest to irritation. I HOPE we are N of it. ADD. But suspect not; in hardiness zones, which are based on winter temps, which I think is what counts, we are equivalent to Carolinas-ish.

Last edited:
But suspect not; in hardiness zones, which are based on winter temps, which I think is what counts, we are equivalent to Carolinas-ish.

I believe it is also soil type dependent. The beetles do better in light, sandy soil where they pupate easily. Heavier soils hinder that pupation. So, even in North Carolina, it depends on where your bees are located. In the Piedmont...high ground with heavier soils...beetles aren't as overwhelming as in the low ground along the coast where the lighter soils favor the beetles.

Really, the only way to prevent beetles from entering the UK, is to stop importations from areas with beetles. From what I've read here on the forums, that isn't going to happen.

I've seen a few beetles this summer. Haven't amounted to much. Had a failed nucleus colony that had a few SHB larvae chomping on left-over pollen. Found a few beetles in my hot room, but I extracted the honey before they could reproduce.

Latest posts

Back